Hmm, let's reverse this notion and consider the perspective. Then we can make some assumptions. If I were forced to evacuate and become a transient, how would I act moving through neighboring communities who are not facing the same threat I was?

Considering I would be travelling well armed, and with limited supplies otherwise, is there a point at which I become desperate? What happens when I run out of fuel and have to consider abandoning my vehicle and most of my equipment and supplies. If I am familiar with the area, what can I get away with without drawing too much attention from the locals or the LEOs in the area? If I had to, what would make the best opportunity for me to re-fuel/re-supply?

Likely I'd want to avoid really public locations, as the number of witnesses/interferences/competition would be impractical. So finding an out of the way target that I can recon for defensive/supply potential makes some sense. Then it would ust be a matter of choosing the right time, and it's as easy as that.