flashlight - A good and reliable flashlight is pretty much preparedness 101. I would avoid the cheap incandescent models if your not absolutely sure that they are sturdy and reliable. Any flashlight that is in danger of failure if dropped and/or needs to be slapped around to work is suspect. LED flashlights are often more durable, reliable and make batteries last longer.

nonprescription pain reliever - IMHO every kit should have one or two single-doses of aspirin. It is generally useful and is so profoundly beneficial in the case of a heart attack that it justified its existence in any kit. For general use I like Ibuprofen.

manual can opener - A P-38 is good but an easier way to cover this is to have a SAK or multi-tool, either of which have a lot of other uses, in your kit. It is a pain but most any knife can be used to open a can.

sanitation and personal hygiene items - Humans can go a long time if need be between a full-on scrub. People can usually get by for days just cleaning their hands so they don't get sick. But a wipe down of the face, neck, pits and rump makes just about everyone feel more civilized and makes being around them more pleasant. This can be done with baby wipes but over longer periods of time a washcloth, sliver of soap, and splash of water can save weight and trouble. Depends on how dear clean water is.

FAK - A simple kit with a collection of general use items is better than more narrowly focused supplies. Triangular bandages, sports tape, a couple of elastic bandages, and large amounts of gauze pads make a good base. A few bandaids are handy but by definition if it can be treated with a bandaid it isn't very serious. A couple of combination pressure/pad/tourniquet type field dressings are grand for immediate use with serious injuries.

two week supply of prescription drugs - Naturally. Consider a much larger supply of vital medications. Repackage as necessary but keep a copy of the label handy for legal reasons and be sure to keep it all well, and clearly labeled, and dry.

extra batteries - generally necessary but there is some chance that if the devices you select are efficient enough, highly efficient LED flashlights versus incandescent, and the batteries good enough, lithium cells instead of alkaline cells, you could limit the numbers of replacements needed. Possibly eliminating them entirely.

thermometer (presumably medical) - I guess if hypothermia is a concern and your otherwise equipped to deal with it, beyond your normal warming procedure, or where the possible presence of a fever causing disease might determine treatment, it might be useful. That said I have never seen much use for one. If weight is critical, I'm carrying all may supplies, it would be in my kit. If weigh isn't critical I might have one.

hand sanitizer w/60% alcohol - a small bottle or two. I prefer soap and water.

portable radio (hand cranked or batt operated) - very tiny and efficient ear-bud models work fine for one or two people. With lithium batteries they can run for a very long time. Larger parties will want a radio with a speaker and will pay a greater premium in bulk and/or batteries. Hand-crank radios save on batteries but they are usually heavier and often bulky. Hand crank mechanisms are prone to taking a lot of abuse so if you go that way go for quality and give them a good workout before placing your trust in them.

two weeks supply of non-perishable food - simple foods that can be eaten without heating and preparation if necessary are best. But including a few familiar and favorite items. Particularly if there are children.

nonprescription diarrhea meds - Digestion is likely to get uneven as stress, strange food, less than perfect water, lack of sleep work against you. I really think that you need three things; a calcium carbonate bases antacid like Tums; a general purpose stomach/diarrhea medicine like Pepto-Bismol, tablets or liquid; a dedicated anti-diarrheal, Imodium or generic equivalent. Carrying all three gives you options to handle sour stomachs, mild indigestion and diarrhea, and your full-bore case of trots.

two week supply of potable water for each family member - Carrying even a minimum weeks supply is a weighty proposition. Fourteen pounds per person, plus whatever the container/s weigh, at a very minimalist quart a day. Half a gallon is more realistic but that means over 28 pounds per person. Which, if you carrying all this on your back, is a pretty substantial load all by itself. Either your going to have to depend on some mechanical assistance in carrying supplies, motor vehicle or a cart of some type, or you are going to have to carry less and plan on resupplying, and possibly treating, water.

chemical cold packs - I have never had much use for them. They are bulky and heavy, and they degrade in time and can cause corrosion if they leak while in storage. If you have room to spare and weight isn't an issue they might be useful.

electrolyte drinks - Redundant if you carry water and rehydration mix with you. If your in a hot climate the premixed drinks might be convenient but most people get along pretty well with water and water has many more uses.

surgical masks - N-95 or higher - A bit of a contradiction. Surgical masks typically don't carry any designation. There is precious little evidence that masks, any non-respirator, really accomplish much in real-life use. Even less that the 'or higher', N-99 or N-100, are any more effective in use. If you do buy masks consider buying ones with an exhalation valve. They don't necessarily work better but they are far more comfortable. A huge difference in warm weather. If its important enough that you really need such a mask your probably better off getting a respirator with replaceable filters.

Your thoughts, please......