The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#189912 - 12/04/09 04:40 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Jesselp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I keep an eye on my neighbors and get used to their habits, and they may be doing likewise. If something looks weird, I would thank them for calling LEOs.

I was sitting in my car at 4pm one day, waiting for a feral cat to go into the trap (she was just sitting in front of the trap, looking at the food, deciding).

I was across from a bank. A bank that was robbed while I was sitting there. The perp was wearing a blue t-shirt and a white baseball cat. I was wearing a blue shirt and a white baseball cap.

Let me tell you, the approach of those two officers from behind me was very, very cautious!

Sue

#189934 - 12/04/09 07:07 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Susan]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I suppose the Este Lauder gym bag in the back and red nail polish on the fingers hugging the steering wheel were helpful in their initial walk up. Otherwise I'd guess the ponytail helped.

haha.

#189966 - 12/05/09 03:37 AM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: comms]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I had the occassion to drive up to my house and see a large man with a flashlight near my garden level bedroom window. Both the wife and I met him with our pistols drawn. When asked who and what he thought he was doing at midnight at our house, he responded that he was the neighbor diagonal from us and that our dogs were barking. I responded back that they were taught to react that way when a person approaches our house at midnight with a flashlight looking around. I then explained as we were holstering our weapons that he was A: never to come onto this property again - ever. and B: Smart people do not do what he did as some people in WY dont like home invaders, rapist, burglers and other bad people - it was a good way to come down with a terminal case of rapid lead poisoning.

The wife and I both were law enforcement officers and that is the most personal it ever got. Dont ever want to do that again.

#190159 - 12/07/09 04:18 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: epirider]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Last spring we discovered that a person had been snooping around our yard while we were out, wearing an orange vest that said safety on it. Our neighbor confronted them and they refused to identify themselves. Had either me or the wife been home, the suspect would've been speaking into the end of the barrel pretty quick, or he'd have sprouted some lumps and been waiting face down and hog tied for the cops to come get him, assuming he didn't resist.

God watches over fools.

I saw the movie "Gran Torino" this weekend. Good movie. The end was a bit predictable.

#190166 - 12/07/09 05:06 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: benjammin]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I saw the movie "Gran Torino" this weekend. Good movie. The end was a bit predictable.

But not so predictable for the teens aged target audience - that's for sure.

#190177 - 12/07/09 07:13 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Jesselp]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
I've often wondered what would happen if a neighbor looked in the window and noticed me snooping around my own house at 3am with my flashlight. I don't like to turn on the lights when I go for a drink of water, as it kills my night vision much more than just using a small handheld light to navigate the stairs.

I probably look just like a burglar would look if he was trying not to wake up the family sleeping upstairs. That's because I'm trying not to wake up the family sleeping upstairs.

I used to do this also, but decided that I didn't want the hassle of a police visit by a well meaning neighbor. Walmart has some nice LED nightlights with a photocell that turns them off during the day. I've installed enough of them that, with good night vision, I can easily move about the house, check on kids, go to the bathroom, etc., without turning on a light.

I keep a few areas in the house pretty dark for tactical reasons, anyone coming towards me down the hallway will be lit up fairly well, compared to my dark corner at least.

#190451 - 12/11/09 12:45 AM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Jesselp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Jesselp
He was armed with an AK47 of some sort and fired at them, but missed (at across the livingroom distances). It was generally assumed that he wanted to get his point across without the legal hassle that comes with dead badguys in the livingroom here in the northeast.

I can certainly understand that.

But I'd hate to be his neighbor when those rounds start popping through my drywall!

#190467 - 12/11/09 03:47 AM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Susan]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Susan
I keep an eye on my neighbors and get used to their habits, and they may be doing likewise. If something looks weird, I would thank them for calling LEOs.

I was sitting in my car at 4pm one day, waiting for a feral cat to go into the trap (she was just sitting in front of the trap, looking at the food, deciding).

I was across from a bank. A bank that was robbed while I was sitting there. The perp was wearing a blue t-shirt and a white baseball cat. I was wearing a blue shirt and a white baseball cap.

Let me tell you, the approach of those two officers from behind me was very, very cautious!

Sue

Had you been wearing a white baseball cat, I bet the officers would have been even more cautious.....

Sorry, I could not let that one go.

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
3 registered (Herman30, chaosmagnet, clearwater), 373 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.