Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1887 - 10/08/01 12:40 PM Re: Favorite food bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

a late reply - but we have started to pack Nutri-grain Elevenses bars (UK name). Slightly bulky package but moist and very tasty. My son and I have five packed in the butt-pack grabit kit - one for each member of the family and there is a pack in the car (six bars). I carry a couple in my works bag and they stave off hunger quite well when we can't get a system up and have to work late. They are also good when we go day walking as snacks - and being a consumer product they do not cost the earth. Each bar is stamped with a use by date - and having looked at the pack dates the ones in there are to be replaced March 2002.<br><br>The other thing we both have are small nalgene screw top bottles into which we pack our own mix of toasted sunflower seeds, chashews and raisins rolled in brown sugar. These are robust and store well.<br><br>Clive<br><br><br>

#1888 - 10/08/01 05:15 PM Re: Favorite food bars?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Was this a voluntary seven-day fast, or were you forced into it by your situation? <br><br>I'd fall over, well, probably not dead, but in a dead-faint, anyway. When I fast for eight hours before a blood test, I get very weak. I'm built for three square meals a day. <br><br>

#1889 - 10/08/01 05:21 PM Re: Favorite food bars?
Craig Offline

In your opinion, how do the "excellent" Mainstay bars you mention stack up against the S.O.S. Food Labs bars I've read about?<br><br>I've found a place on the web from which I can order single-bar samples of Mainstay that should suffice for a taste test: http://www.preparedness.net/noname69.html for $6.25. Seems a little pricey, but what do I know.<br><br>Haven't found the same for S.O.S. - yet.<br><br>

#1890 - 10/08/01 06:36 PM Re: Favorite food bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Was this a voluntary seven-day fast, or were you forced into it by your situation?<<<br><br>It was entirely voluntary. It was also a long time ago- I had worked up to it by fasting for several shorter periods, in order to know what to expect. I have also, for instance, lived for 5 days on spirulina (farmed blue-green algae, often thought to be close to a perfect food based on it’s composition) tablets alone. I found it easier to fast. After 5 days I couldn’t face the smell of the tablets, much less swallow them. I was hoping they’d be a long-shelf-life backpacking/survival food. The longest I’ve fasted in recent years is 3 and a half days- but now you guys have got me thinking about it again…<br><br>The body does some interesting things when fasting, including getting rid of some noxious stuff, about which I can only say that you’ll be glad that it’s not in you anymore- that takes more than 3 days. I’m told that when it switches to internal resources it also scavenges damaged and diseased cells first, which is one of the things that leads some researchers to think that it might actually be a necessary cycle for long term health. The only negative effect I noticed from seven days was that my throat seemed to constrict a bit, and it was a bit difficult to swallow my first solid meal after it was over. By the second one, it was not a problem. Hunger was never a problem after the third day, often not after the second- unless I smelled food. Talk about sharpened senses!<br><br>>>I'd fall over, well, probably not dead, but in a dead-faint, anyway. When I fast for eight hours before a blood test, I get very weak. I'm built for three square meals a day. <<<br><br>I’m not a doctor, and wouldn’t presume to give advice, but I’ve found that people who report such things tend to fall in to two categories- those brainwashed all their lives to believe that they must be weak if they haven’t eaten, and those who’s diet is high in carbohydrates and sugars and who don’t get aerobic exercise much. For the first group, there’s not much to be done but reflect on the fact that virtually all of your ancestors went hungry on a regular basis- it’s natural, not something to be in a panic about. The second group seems to have trouble physically converting to burning their own fat for energy when their blood sugar is exhausted, because the enzymes in their bodies are adjusted to processing sugars, not fats. That group can work on it by running long slow distances and/or reducing sugar and carb intake- this exhausts blood sugar so the body gets used to processing fats, internal or external, again. That’s not a bad thing to happen once in awhile. <br><br>Believe me, I eat as much bad stuff as most people, but so much of what we eat, me included, is mostly sugar and wheat. Bread is not a natural food- you dry grass seed, grind it into a fine powder, make that into a paste, let the paste bubble and ferment, and put the resulting goop in a fire to kill it. This only seems reasonable because we’ve been doing it for thousands of years- but that’s not long enough for evolution to adjust. Your hunter-gatherer ancestors never ate anything like that. Someone will probably denounce all this as heresy- so be it. Your mileage may vary.<br><br>Quick story- way back when I was doing this sort of thing regularly, I happened to be working with a Vietnamese gentleman and some young guys in a religion famous for it’s activities in airports, and we all talked about fasting. The Vietnamese gentleman had been a jet pilot for the French, the South Vietnamese, and the Americans in the war there. The other guys and I exchanged fasting notes, and one of them asked the Vietnamese gentleman if he had ever fasted, and for how long. He said he wasn’t sure, that he had gone for a month without real food once, but “in the jungle, there’s a lot of green stuff in the water- I don’t know if that counts”.<br><br>You’re a lot tougher than you think you are.<br><br><br>

#1891 - 10/08/01 07:23 PM Re: Favorite food bars?
Craig Offline

"I’ve found that people who report such things tend to fall in to two categories- those brainwashed all their lives to believe that they must be weak if they haven’t eaten, and those who’s diet is high in carbohydrates and sugars and who don’t get aerobic exercise much."<br><br>Guilty as charged. Grin. I think I'll let you handle the fasting. I get enough headaches as is.<br><br>

#1892 - 10/08/01 08:18 PM Re: Favorite food bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm right there with you. 4 hours without food and I start getting a headache, irritable, weak, foggy-headed. Ahh, the joys of hypoglycemia. I'm not in a hurry to test it, but hopefully it gets better as the fast extends.<br><br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 272 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.