Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Originally Posted By: Blast
Coarse-grind the acorns then run them through a "Mr. Coffee" a few times until the resulting brew doesn't taste bitter. Then dry the acorn meal and grind it up finer for flour or just leave it as is for acorn porridge or to add to muffins.

-Blast

What would you do w/out a MR Coffee in a survival situation ??

Can you eat them w/out filtering that mcuh ?

It depends on the acorn. So trees produce nuts very low in tannic acid, but they are rare. If you find one, mark it's location! Acorns that haven't had their tannic acid removed are very bitter and very hard to eat.

Native Americans would leech out the tannic acid by soaking in fast-moving water woven bags of crushed acorns for a few days. The slower the water was moving the longer the acorns were left in the stream. For quicker results you can place you coarse-ground acorns in a tee-shirt then pour boiling water over them. Taste a nut or two every so often to see if the bitterness has been removed.

The reason for coarse grinding rather than fine grinding is just to make it easier to keep the acorn meat in the filter.

-Blast

Cool info right there!

My parents place got a TON of acorns this year... if I remember right they are not every year and the quantity is dependent upon something too ??

Our oaks up here have weird acrons, they are VERY rare, I`ll have to find them and take some pics laugh