Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#187663 - 11/06/09 04:32 AM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: nurit]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Difference in NUMBER of individuals though....every person you add to the vehichle is added weight.

#187664 - 11/06/09 04:49 AM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: T_Co]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
As someone else already stated, when you break the side or rear windows, they shatter and all the glass comes out. With the exception of aftermarket tinted windows, which wouldn't really makes much difference. Even though the glass would be held together by the tint after shattering, it would still be relatively easy to push out of the way.

The rear and side windows are tempered safety glass, unlike the front windshield which is laminated from 2 sheets of glass with plastic in the middle.

If my vehicle were filling with water, I'd be getting out of the seatbelt, unbuckling everyone else, and preparing to open a door once the pressure equalized. Of course, if I were in my personal vehicle I could just slice the soft top open with my knife anyway.

#187665 - 11/06/09 04:51 AM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: nurit]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Do everything you can to get out before the car goes under. Strange things happen under water. You don't see as well, you can't breathe, the car may not stay upright. Don't assume you'll get out of the back seat once you go back there. The underwater problems I've had to do for quals are done first with eyes open so some visibility is available; then the same problem is repeated wearing opaque goggles. The attempt with eyes open is just a run-thru so you can do the real run blind. Due to turbulence, sand and junk in the water, do not expect to be able to see anything once you go under. It's not like a heated swimming pool.

How long can you hold your breath? How long can you hold your breath under(cold)water while fighting panic, smashing windows and rescuing toddlers. You have a very limited time to function before you become useless. This isn't something you will do well the first time and you won't get a second chance to do it right.

If you have an opportunity to get out before the car sinks, do it; that's as good as it gets. Call 9-1-1 after you're out of the car (but don't go back in to find the phone).

#187679 - 11/06/09 02:12 PM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: T_Co]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: T_Co
30 seconds to 2 minutes. guessing that is due to different interior capacites, IE club cab truck vs SUV.

I would think it would depend way more on the air-tightness of the vehicle. I remember seeing an ad for a VW bug a long time ago where the car actually floated, and the guy rolled down the window to tell us about it.

#187685 - 11/06/09 03:20 PM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: GoatRider]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I actually floated my beloved Bug, at least twice. They don't make'em like they use' ta.

#187687 - 11/06/09 03:42 PM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: GoatRider]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I can't verify this But it makes very good sense to me, that in some contries A life Hammer is required safty gear for each auto. Not only is one required (kinda like a jack)but rather two are required, one in a glove box or accesable to the driver, and one in the wheel well of one of the rear tires. THIS makes sens so that if you rush to help a person who's car had slid into the watter.

I will say that having mutiple ways of opening windows is always a good idea. But I will add that keeping a marked window opener outside your vehicle is like putting a sign "steal me" on the car with keys attached.

I keep a CRKT MAK with seat belt cutter. in the map pocket of my door, and I also have a folder that has the window breaker. and YES I keep work gloves in may truck as well. While it is cool to keep the MAK in my truck in the map pocket in my truck, it is nerver racking when I have my truck cleaned, already had to replace it once.

Edited by Tyber (11/06/09 03:42 PM)

#187693 - 11/06/09 04:15 PM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: 2005RedTJ]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
and preparing to open a door once the pressure equalized.

That is now not the preferred method (at least for this week).
It can take a long time for the car to fill with water and equalize during which you can sink a long way in deep water. It can also get stuck in weeds/mud/debris on the bottom jamming the doors shut.
Current thinking seems to be to get the windows/doors open immediately and get out as fast as you can.

#187699 - 11/06/09 05:32 PM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: NobodySpecial]
thatguyjeff Offline

In MN, when we're driving on the ice in the winter to head out ice fishing or whatever - you're supposed to have all the windows rolled all the way down and seatbelts off (including kids in carseats) already.

You're already dressed for the cold and there's little worry of a car accident on the ice.

When a car goes through the ice, it's almost always the front end first while the back end may not break through. The nose tips down and slides in head first giving you time to dive out the window.

And usually the ice around the car while it's sinking won't let you open the doors at all anyway - let alone the water pressure.

#187700 - 11/06/09 05:33 PM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: nurit]
Pete Offline
Veteran

T_Co

I also liked the summary by MythBusters. That was quite helpful too. How did those guys get such a fun job ... anyway ?!!!

So bottom line is that you've got to hit the side windows with a pointed hammer or a centerpunch. Works for me.

I hadn't thought about the problem with windows not opening (using door handles) because of water pressure. That's good to know.

Based on sinking estimates, you've got a minimum time of 30 secs to complete your evacuation steps from the vehicle. That is NOT much time folks! You've gotta' figure that if the vehicle impacts the water with any speed at all - you are going to be dazed and confused for a few seconds. So that's 10-15 secs lost right there. This leaves you only 15 secs to locate your emergency escape gear, unlock (or cut) the seat belts, and break the windows. That is tough timing in a real emgergency. I believe the average person could do it - provided they locate their escape tools immediately. I also beleive that the average family could drown ... if the parent(s) panicks. Easy to do in this scenario.

Pete

#187737 - 11/06/09 11:52 PM Re: Article on surviving car sinking [Re: Pete]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Just to lighten the subject because I was actualy looking my ceiling fan thinking about this as I fell asleep last night (the more serious part of the matter).

The only perfect solution is going to be drop down air masks for each persons seat and 1 can of spare air per row, and David Hasselhoff perched at the ready. I am currently awaiting my royalties from Triple A for suggesting this be part of their new 09-10 policy (save money now, sign up for 6 months at a time the Hoff's got your back).

Edited by T_Co (11/07/09 12:02 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 270 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.