If you can figure out a way to scrounge up some volunteers, please let me know!

You may recall that I joined my local volunteer ambulance service about a year ago. I was an EMT in college (just had my 15h reunion) and I have been working my way through the recertification class over teh last six months. It's been a bear.

That said, at age 37 I am without a doubt one of the "young guys" around the station. I can think of one member who regularly shows up who is younger than me. While I like the idea that I'll probably be a chief in this department someday (who else is there?), this does not bode well for the future of volunteer EMS response a decade from now.

We're starting a major recruitment drive, but have not been able to come up with any really creative ideas on how to get people to vounteer.

If any other volunteer responders want to have a longer discussion of this issue, I'd love to join in.

Edit: BTW, I was approached this weekend by a retired FDNY firefighter asking me why we didn't do fire suppression so that his taxes could be lower. How are we supposed to safely staff an engine when we can barely staff an ambulance?!? I tried to recruit him, but he's in his 60's and felt that he "did his time" in The City.

Jesselp

Edited by Jesselp (11/02/09 05:44 PM)