Things are turning out differently that I expected. I thought that because of a lot of dire warnings flying around the Internet and the comments from TV folks like Bill Maher or Rush, that there would be little interest in the shots. It seems to be just the opposite, at least from what I have seen on the news.

Ironically, it may be the vaccine makers themselves who are doing the most to shoot themselves in the foot. Production is way behind their initial estimates, and it seems many people are angry at both the vaccine makers, health authorities, the President, etc. because there isn't a huge supply available already. I get the sense that many will give up trying to get the shot simply out of anger or frustration. That's not a good reason to not get the shot.

I think few people realize how amazing it is that we have as much of the vaccine as we do. Many years, it's hard enough trying to produce enough of the seasonal flu shot in time for October distribution, and this year, we have both seasonal and H1N1 shots coming out, and the H1N1 vaccine was started on way, way later than you'd usually begin production. It's rather amazing, actually.

I'm not in any priority group, but I'll get the shot whenever it becomes convenient and readily available once all the priority groups are vaccinated. For those like me, I wouldn't be surprised if that is sometime after the New Year. I'm not in any particular hurry.