The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#186685 - 10/27/09 11:25 PM Re: Ohhh .... my.... [Re: Paul810]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Moose are most dangerous during rutting season-they travel places they dont normally go, to mate. And, they lose their shyness. This is when car strikes happen-during the fall. Thats why they are so dangerous.
Two quick moose stories. First one, I was hiking part of the AT in MA about a dozen years ago, and a section hiker was telling me a story about how she was treed by a moose. She had seen it near the trail (this was in VT), and tried to sneak up on it to get a better pic. The moose, for whatever reason, didnt like that, and chased her. She managed to get high up a tree, and the moose, acording to her, didnt leave for quite some time. She did manage to get a few pics of the moose while being treed (this was when we still had FILM cameras) and showed me the two she kept with her. I guess moose dont like sneaky people.
Second story, just recently I went to my pipe majors house (I am a bagpiper), and he was all excited to show me something in his driveway. Well, lo & behold, the was a HUGE pile of moose droppings. Apparently a cow had been wandering the streets (its a mix of rural & urban terrain) near where he lived, even made the local news. Well, she decided to do her business on his driveway. Now, I dont know how the size of a scat pile relates to the size of the animal, but the pile was HUGE!!!

#186698 - 10/28/09 03:05 AM Re: Ohhh .... my.... [Re: oldsoldier]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have no idea if the photos have been tweaked. Or, indeed, if this is a Moose of Unusual Size (though anything is possible in the Fire Swamp).

But I can say that I've had several close encounters with moose cows with a calves, usually at VERY close quarters, such as coming across them in dense black spruce bush. They were alert but calm; and I was calmly backing off, in a very thoroughly calm manner. They're bloody big, and this is from a guy who worked cattle for the first half of his life. We all got along. I have had many more close encounters with moose than with bear.

I also had a bull moose walk right up to my house and look in through the picture window. That puts his head at least 8 ft. off the ground. I was in the twilight of sleep, in my housecoat, nursing my first morning Java; it was a magical experience. (Seriously, this happened.) In later years, we had a bull come through each fall, walking through a wheatfield or canola crop that was 3-1/2 feet tall; you could clearly see daylight under his belly. Again, very cool.

The Moose is Loose.

#186710 - 10/28/09 07:44 AM Re: Ohhh .... my.... [Re: NightHiker]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I'm still EXTREMELY skeptical - I've seen this "undoctored photograph" in several emails claiming it was taken in a variety of location - Alaska, Canada, Maine and this one from Michigan. Also the for some reason the feet and the shadows in the second picture scream photoshop to me but I'm no expert so won't claim it's been altered.

I'm gonna say that it could be a real photograph but I think what really makes this moose look huge is that those trees are all fairly young and that's not a "single lane dirt road for cars" - more likely an ATV width trail. I could be wrong but while he may be freezer full of moose meat I don't think he's any ubermoose.

I don't think that it's doctored. The shadows are consistant but telephoto lense effects (shortening perspective) may make him look larger than he is.

Having said that, he looks to be about 7" at the shoulder.

#186729 - 10/28/09 02:35 PM Re: Ohhh .... my.... [Re: NightHiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Here is a photo of moose pulling a wagon. I remember this photo
from a trip to Canada when I was in scouts as a kid. Long
before photoshop.

http://www.archivesalberta.org/odd/moose.htm

here is another
http://www.museevirtuel.ca/pm.php?id=rec...7&rd=170539

http://www.alaskahistorystore.org/p194.html

Edited by clearwater (10/28/09 02:36 PM)

#186752 - 10/28/09 07:36 PM Re: Ohhh .... my.... [Re: dougwalkabout]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Mooses of Unusual Size are called 'MUSes'.

Sue

#186756 - 10/28/09 07:44 PM Re: Ohhh .... my.... [Re: clearwater]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
moose pulling wagons was the 1800's version of a tricked up car.the Northern Minnesota story is about the guy who would drive into one of the logging towns on a Saturday nite,red leather harness and all.the local guys for a "joke" hid by the road and did a moose call on a birch horn.the moose of course took off ripping the wagon and harness off.it was said to be seen off in the woods much later feeding on willow with bits of the harness still on..and yes they get very big.i would rather deal with a bear in my camp than a stand off with a moose on a portage trail.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (10/28/09 07:45 PM)

#186807 - 10/29/09 04:08 AM Re: Ohhh .... my.... [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
During a trip through Yellowstone, I spotted a moose with calf far out in a meadow next to a swampy area. I guessed the animals to be over 100 yards away.

Many cars began stopping next to mine. One guy took his camera and began walking toward the moose. He was about 6 feet tall.

At first he appeared to be getting smaller as he walked into the distance, and the size of the moose stayed the same. Then an amazing thing happened that got the growing crowd scared: as he walked closer to the moose his image seemed to stay the same size but the moose grew larger and larger!

It was clear momma moose was taller at the shoulder than his 6 feet !

Edited by dweste (10/29/09 04:09 AM)

#186831 - 10/29/09 03:17 PM Re: Ohhh .... my.... [Re: dweste]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I had something similar happen while I was a summer concession employee in Yellowstone. I was taking a shortcut from our dorms to another part of the Canyon area. It was a pretty wooded and dark area and for some reason, I decided to take my eyes away from the ground and look up. As my vision shifted up, what I saw at the top of what I assumed were the trunks of just some more young trees was in fact a very large moose cow. I had all but walked right into her. All I remember thinking is, 'wow, that's a big moose' as I noticed that the bottom of her head was above the top of mine. I took a few steps to the left and went on my way. Well okay, I did look over my shoulder a few times.

In Yellowstone, it was always the elk that gave me the most trouble. I've been chased back in to the Firehole River a few times while fishing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 514 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.