Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#186529 - 10/26/09 01:38 PM Re: Small planes, what to wear for safety? Avoidance? [Re: BruceZed]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Leave the nomex fleece packed or wear the nomex fleece as a shell? I wear nomex fleece because if there's a fire you need it right now.

#186546 - 10/26/09 04:36 PM Re: Small planes, what to wear for safety? Avoidance? [Re: Susan]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: Susan
The few pilots I've known (small aircraft) have generally agreed that the most common reason for engine failure is water in the fuel. Since water is heavier than the fuel, it sinks to the bottom of the tank. Most pilots will drain a cup or so of fuel out of the tank prior to every flight. Some pilots forget, are drunk, are thinking about other things, or don't think it's necessary.

Some pilots fly too low over ridges and get caught in downdrafts. Some don't pay enough attention to their altimeters, or didn't adjust it for the barometric pressure, or don't really know what the elevation is of the terrain they're flying over.

Always ask the pilot if he/she has filed a flight plan. Or be with him when he does it. If you're too embarrassed to ask, you're too dumb to fly. If he/she says something like, "What's wrong, don't you trust me?", say "Not with my life, no."

A little Cessna 150 can go over 300 miles on one tank (depending on the plane, the load and how much throttle the pilot uses). That distance would provide a search area of over 70,000 square miles, about the size of Missouri. With two skinny people on board, no cargo, a tuned engine and a decent tailwind, maybe about 500 miles, so you can kick the search area up to almost 200,000 square miles (three-quarters of Texas).

Good advice seen here before: "Dress for egress" and "Dress to survive, not to arrive".

Sue

Sue:

This advise is just perfect.. so concise and very practial. I wanted to say that I love your line of, "If you're too embarrassed to ask, you're too dumb to fly"

Also I can't agree with the line of, "dress to survive, not arrive." Every time I have to dress to arive for something, I feel akward and ill prepaired. though I am getting better at hiding my equipment in my tux.

#186550 - 10/26/09 05:41 PM Re: Small planes, what to wear for safety? Avoidance? [Re: Tyber]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, the tux problem is a problem. Even James Bond would have a hard time carrying much.

Even worse are those skinny little dresses that look like slips -- it's hard to hid anything. Of course, sometimes not hiding things is the point... wink

Sue

#186936 - 10/30/09 02:48 PM Re: Small planes, what to wear for safety? Avoidance? [Re: Susan]
armageddon_aviator Offline

Loc: Israel
Hi

I wear a SRU-21P survival vest whenever I fly over desolate areas / wilderness.

The vest DOES restrict your movements - but it's manageable.

When flying near urban areas, I keep some survival gear in my flight bag.

I am contemplating an eventual upgrade and get an Israeli Air Force model - but it's hard to justify the $ 1000 expense...

#186942 - 10/30/09 03:16 PM Re: Small planes, what to wear for safety? Avoidance? [Re: Russ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Nomex shell material is like regular cloth for coveralls. Not as heavy as denim but heavier than regular cotton clothing.
It is very tough.
If you are flying a small plane and it is cold enough in the cabin for wearing long underwear then Nomex fleece becomes an option, but the regular Nomex outer shell protects against flash fires pretty well.

It is a lot less bulky, and you can just put it on over your regular clothes too.
For warmth it is like adding one extra layer of clothing so if your cabin is warm you might want to stow your regular jacket in your kit bag while you are wearing it.

If you are a passenger on a commercial flight you might want to consider a decent wool suit instead of any special clothing like coveralls.

#186944 - 10/30/09 03:58 PM Re: Small planes, what to wear for safety? Avoidance? [Re: scafool]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
And for women: Wear clothes and shoes you can run in.

Sue

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 207 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by Ren
06:41 PM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.