Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#185509 - 10/16/09 04:21 AM Spray Lube
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Folks

Can anyone recomend a spray lube for door latches? I have some that need lubricated to move easier.

Thanks tons
Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#185513 - 10/16/09 04:43 AM Re: Spray Lube [Re: leemann]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
WD40 works, but it's messy.

Dry lubes are available. Some are graphite based, which I worry might transfer to clothing. But I may be wrong.

I have tried pencil lead (HB), but there's too much clay and not enough graphite to really help.

I was given a spray lube by Liquid Wrench which deposits a Teflon coating and the carrying spray then evaporates. To be honest, I haven't used it enough to know if it's worthwhile or not.

If somebody knows what's good, I'd like to hear about it too.

#185515 - 10/16/09 04:52 AM Re: Spray Lube [Re: dougwalkabout]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Thanks Dougwalkabout

I do building lockup (church calling) and need a good lube for some latches at the church.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#185519 - 10/16/09 05:38 AM Re: Spray Lube [Re: leemann]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Break-free. Won't get gummy like wd-40 does, and lubricates much better in my experience. Both break-free and wd-40 are solvents, kinda like kerosene, but break-free also has a teflon based lube. Used to be the army used it for weapons storage/cleaning/lube, but like any oil it attracts dust, so not good in the fine sand. Either may remove paint. You can get break-free pretty much anywhere they sell gun cleaning supplies. You just need a tiny bit. If you just want to clean you can use spray carb cleaner, but that will pretty much take off any paint.

#185523 - 10/16/09 06:48 AM Re: Spray Lube [Re: UpstateTom]
norhumco Offline

Loc: Penngrove, CA
I have had very good results with this product by LPS

#185527 - 10/16/09 10:07 AM Re: Spray Lube [Re: norhumco]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
DuPont Teflon Multi-Use

This stuff sprays on wet like WD-40, but dries to leave a teflon film. It was recommended to me by my old hardware/lock supplier/locksmith and my automatic garage door opener contractor.

Works great on everything, and does not seem to be harmed by varying temperatures. Of course Northern Ontario has not yet been tested personally.

RIP OBG

#185535 - 10/16/09 11:28 AM Re: Spray Lube [Re: Desperado]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The normal dry lube for locks is graphite. It can be bought as a powder in a tube. It is usually quite cheap.

It is very messy if you are not careful because it is the same stuff as pencil leads are made from.

You only need to spay a wee tiny bit into the lock set by giving the tube a small squeeze. You don't want to have it making black smudges everywhere.
The reason graphite is used is it does not attract moisture or gritty dust and does not go gummy as it ages.
There is also a version of this that uses molybdenum sulphide instead of graphite. It is a black and messy dust too.
Wear gloves, only use a bit exactly where you need it, clean up any excess and wash your hands so you don't make smudges.

The spray lubes like WD-40 and others work too but they are usually oil and other chemicals in solvent carriers, and the lubrication is usually secondary to what they were designed for.

WD-40 for example was intended to disperse water from the area you spray it. That is what the WD in the name means, water displacement. It displaces water by bonding to surfaces better than the water does. It is great stuff for drying ignition wiring. I know quite a few people who hose the wires under the hood of a car to keep them dry and prevent arcing.
It makes a decent starter spray for diesel motors too.

edit:
I use WD-40 quite a bit mostly because it is a lot less messy than spilled graphite.

#185638 - 10/16/09 09:52 PM Re: Spray Lube [Re: scafool]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
+1 teflon sprays.

#185654 - 10/17/09 12:13 AM Re: Spray Lube [Re: comms]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Can't recommend WD-40, the solvent will clean out the lock but the lubricant doesn't last very long and then it turns to varnish. Graphite works but can be messy, personally like the liquid graphite. The graphite is suspended in a solvent, it evaporates all that is left is the graphite. Most of the time i use the teflon based lubricants, tri-flow, break-free, and several of the dry film teflon sprays. Whichever can is closest when i need it.

Since you are doing lock up duty some of the teflon sprays are available in small pocket sized applicator/spray tubes so that you can have it with you when you need it.

#185658 - 10/17/09 12:46 AM Re: Spray Lube [Re: RayW]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If y'all are into home brews you can make a fair WD-40 substitute by combining a gallon of odorless kerosene and a pound of white lithium grease. Mix it up in a five gallon bucket, I mix it with a drill, and you can pour it back into the relabeled kerosene can and you have enough left over to half fill a quart spray bottle.

The result works about as well as WD-40. WD-40 is like a SAK, good for a lot of things but it isn't really excellent in any particular roll. It is a light lubricant, a decent penetrant, and a mild preservative. Made by the gallon it is cheap. Cheap enough to use frequently and liberally. Cheap enough to fill up many spray bottles so you always have it handy.

Then again WD-40 can be bought by the gallon for about $17 so it comes down to how much you value your time.

WD-40, or the equivalent home brew, will work for door latches and hinges. You may have to reapply in a few years but it isn't a big thing. On locks you should use graphite and I usually do but more than once I have used WD-40 because it was handy. And, so far, the locks haven't gummed up or stopped working.

If you want a really good penetrating oil use Kroil. For a preservative oil use Ballistol. Locks, graphite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 671 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.