Sometimes events won't let you just plan...

It was a routine morning about twenty years ago at Anacapa Island (Channel Islands Nat'l Park). Staff and about thirty visitors were leaving the boats for a day on the island. Suddenly, five blasts from the boat's horn and the announcement. "We have just been advised by Hq to evacuate Anancapa Island immediately. Everyone, no exceptions, return to the vessel."

A missile had exploded on the launch pad at Vandenberg AFB (Point Conception) releasing a noxious cloud of who-knows-what downwind onto the northern Channel Islands. Everyone got back on the boat and the skipper called Hq, asking,(only half in jest) "Well, we've retrieved everyone from Anacapa. Now, should we stand out to sea, or return to the mainland to die with everyone else?"

As it turned out we returned to the mainland OK but three park employees on San Miguel Island were not so fortunate. The cloud did reach SMI, and they returned to the small ranger station, shut the doors and windows, and await an aircraft which removed them from the island. There were some after effects from exposure to the toxic cloud.

I would paraphrase Gaston Rebuffat, a famous French alpinist, "You will always regret fleeing too late, you will never regret fleeing too early."

As recent events have shown in SoCal, wildfires are a big problem. I have never actually left, but we have been packed up and ready to leave twice in the past fifteen years. I acted well in advance of any "official" instructions. A written, posted list is a big help.

Like others, when the big earthquake comes, I plan to shelter in place, but you must be flexible and ready to think on your feet.