The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#185148 - 10/13/09 01:41 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: damien]
plsander Offline

Originally Posted By: damien
Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
The problem with swimming while wearing most life vest designs is that you're fighting a design feature of the vest, which is to turn an unconscious person face up.

Yeah - its true. Ability to swim requires a lower center of floatation, and an orientation different from the 30 degree backwards angled body that life jacket designs aim for.

How about some form of backstroke? That's how I prefer to surface swim with scuba gear on (inflated BC, not using snorkle or regulator).

#185158 - 10/13/09 02:48 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: damien]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
To the best of my knowledge, military flotation systems are not designed to help you swim. Swimming requires the output of energy that you need to retain in a survival situation. The PFD provides flotation so that you can keep your head in the air while not expending energy you may need to survive hours or days in the water. Once you inflate a PFD the farthest you should swim is to your liferaft or the helo hoist the Coast Guard drops.

That LPU-10/P looks rather clumsy. I don't see how that design would aid in swimming. You'd still need to deflate the bladders and with them under your arms, they'd seem to interfere with your stroke much more than the collar type PFD's.

#185173 - 10/13/09 05:19 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: Russ]
damien Offline
Stranger

The LPU-10/P does look kind of clumsy and I've read some people describing them as "designed by a madman", but its interesting that Mustang's newest tech seems to use similar principles, if not being inspired by the LPU-10/P.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/lift/

#185201 - 10/13/09 08:33 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: damien]
duckear Offline
Addict

Don't forget the .mil personal floatation system has to fit around ejection seat harnesses, g-suit, etc etc. I think the LPU-10/P was designed to fit in the leftover space.

#185202 - 10/13/09 08:45 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: duckear]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good point, not being an ejection sat type I forget about that design criteria -- makes it a bit more of a compromise than other systems.

When I did my qual I noticed that some of the collar types do not play well with helmets. When I inflated one of the PFD's you'd find under your seat on a civilian airliner, it caused a lot of upward pressure on the chin strap. Not as bad with the LPU-32/P.

#185245 - 10/14/09 04:20 AM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: plsander]
damien Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: plsander
Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
The problem with swimming while wearing most life vest designs is that you're fighting a design feature of the vest, which is to turn an unconscious person face up.

Yeah - its true. Ability to swim requires a lower center of floatation, and an orientation different from the 30 degree backwards angled body that life jacket designs aim for.

How about some form of backstroke? That's how I prefer to surface swim with scuba gear on (inflated BC, not using snorkle or regulator).

Backstroke is what they teach divers to do on the surface over long distances. I think its because its partially because the BC/tank combo naturally orients that way, and also because with flippers you have a relatively powerfull backstroke.

#185248 - 10/14/09 04:53 AM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: Russ]
damien Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Russ
When I did my qual I noticed that some of the collar types do not play well with helmets. When I inflated one of the PFD's you'd find under your seat on a civilian airliner, it caused a lot of upward pressure on the chin strap. Not as bad with the LPU-32/P.

Ive been watching videos of people using airline type PFDs, and wow do they look uncomfortable. Seems that they are designed to inflate tight around your neck so that you cant get them off.

#185258 - 10/14/09 12:00 PM Re: Lifejacket for your Kit [Re: damien]
Russ Offline
Geezer

. . .Seems that they are designed to inflate tight around your neck so that you cant get them off.
When I finished the part of the qual requiring the airline PFD and needed to remove it, the helmet had to come off first and I mostly deflated the PFD in order to take it off. They're probably designed that way so that they won't come off inadvertently if you don't have the strap on correctly. They'll definitely keep you afloat.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 402 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
Yesterday at 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.