Originally Posted By: Stoney
Well I guess the point i'm trying to get at is this. If you go on a job to say fix a dishwasher. You don't neccessarily use every tool in your bag to accomplish the task. In a Survival situation the job is to get out alive, and the survival kit is your tool kit. Do you need every "tool" in your survival kit to accomplish this? It seems clear to me that the answer to this question is sometimes you might but not always. When planning a survival kit you try to cover every possibility that might come up making sure to cover the most likely possibiliies first, but when the emergency actually occurs you may well have covered some possibilities that you don't actually face on that occasion. I submit that you don't actually put together a survival kit with the intention of using everything in it, although in some cases you might have to.

That's my outlook also. At work every day I drive a van full of tools and parts. When I get to a jobsite, I carry in a tool bag, it has roughly 35 pounds worth of tools in it. I set it down where the majority of the work is going to happen. Then I unclip my smaller tool pouch from the side of it and clip it on my belt to carry around everywhere I go.

It has the most-used tools on it (3 different size straight screwdrivers, 2 different sized phillips screwdrivers, diagonal cutters, roll of electrical tape). It weighs a LOT less than the big bag, and the big bag weighs a lot less than the van-load of tools.

Even when I'm not carrying the small pouch on my belt, I still have a few tools on me: My Gerber Suspension, a pocket screwdriver, a pocketknife, a Sharpie, and a penlight.

For me, compartmentalizing stuff always makes my life and job easier.