No-code licenses are still available and permit you to operate on all amateur frequencies above 30Mhz. The test is very easy since the questions and answers are published by the FCC. If you want to operate below 30Mhz you need to pass a 5 word per minute morse code test which really easy (most people can copy up to 10 wpm with moderate practice) and other written exams. For the best info visit the ARRL web page herre: http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html. If you wish, they can direct you to a club near you for assistance.

Is it worth it? I met my wife via amateur radio so it is to me. If you are looking for the opportunity to have intelligent conversations with people it is also worthwhile. If you are looking for a radio system to summon help with you may or may not be in luck. I say this because frequencies are not always monitored. If you run into trouble during rush hour or on a weekend chances are you'll be saved before you know it. On the other hand, if you call for help at 2am you will probably be out of luck.

As for what radio to buy I assume you want a handheld unit. Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood all make good radios. Just stay away from the tiny, shirt pocket size ones which run minimal power. Also, be sure to get a spare battery adapter that utilizes AA alkalines or NiCads because you ain't going to find a replacement rechargeable pack at Radio Shack.

I hope this gets you an idea of whether or not you want to pursue this. Let me know if you have any nore questions.

Chris