Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#183328 - 09/27/09 02:15 PM Underwear
Kingarthur Offline

Loc: Texas
The title may seem kind of funny, but I am completely serious. Has anyone tried underarmor products as underclothing for either cold or hot weather? I have never tried them, but I have seen them and thought about it many times, and I was hoping to hear from someone with some experience with them. Do they really water wick? I have heard that in very cold temperatures sweating a lot can actually be detrimental. With that in mind I am trying to pick my layers carefully.

Also, I noticed they make cold weather water resistant gloves. Despite the price I have been more interested in seal skins gloves because they claim to be very cold resistant and completely water proof.

Before I went ahead with any of these assumptions, I was hoping someone might have experience with any of the above. Thanks!

#183330 - 09/27/09 02:24 PM Re: Underwear [Re: Kingarthur]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
UnderArmor works well, but is over-priced IMHO. I've found Ex-Officio boxer briefs best for me in hot, sweaty conditions. Check out, e.g.,Sierra Trading Post for deals on wicking tops and base layers.

#183332 - 09/27/09 02:26 PM Re: Underwear [Re: Kingarthur]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
UnderArmor works in relation to its bulk/weight, but is overpriced due to the name. There are several other makers out there using the same textiles and quality workmanship, but delivering a lower price point.

Just stay the heck away from any fire or heat source. Having that stuff removed from a burn wound would not be on my list of things to do before I die.....

RIP OBG

#183337 - 09/27/09 02:42 PM Re: Underwear [Re: ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I'm back to predominately cotton on the layers next to skin, except for some Smartwool pieces.

More comfortable.

Bonus that it would be less of a problem if I sit on a campfire.

;-)

#183339 - 09/27/09 03:05 PM Re: Underwear [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ditto, natural fibers, cotton or wool, next to skin. I don't want anything next to skin under other clothes that could pose a threat to my life. The one exception to the natural fiber rule is nomex. Nomex has some very good attributes and like wool, it doesn't support flame, it just chars. Massif HotJohns long underwear is good stuff, comfortable and cleans just like polyester (hang dry). Massif nomex fleece is good outerwear too.

#183347 - 09/27/09 05:09 PM Re: Underwear [Re: Kingarthur]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'm back to natural fibers as well. Mostly cotton and silk. Nothing feels as good as silk long underwear. And they don't hold stink like polyester.

#183351 - 09/27/09 07:42 PM Re: Underwear [Re: Kingarthur]
FigTree
Unregistered

Agree with price gouging of UA. I too am a fan of Ex-Officio's products. They too come with a price tag, but the quality is there. But on the other hand they can often be found in clearance and sale deals.....try www.campmor.com

Seal Skinz work.......kinda on the wetsuit-neoprene level. They though have the drawback of not breathable at all but you will be dry.

my 2.5 cents.

#183358 - 09/27/09 09:11 PM Re: Underwear [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
UA is pricey, I agree. Then again, I have lots of it. I haven't tried their HeatGear, but I have 2 GREAT long sleeve ColdGear. I took them to AK while I was there, and wore them hiking in MI during the winter (about 10-15 degrees). As base layers, they worked well. Don't expect them to "keep you warm" so much as "keep the sweat moving." I've literally gotten into the car, and found the 'pit stains but felt really dry.

However... that being said, when I did stop while hiking for lunch, I did feel the chill come on quickly.

If you can find cheaper, probably OK. I've haunted Ross, TJ Maxx, Walmart, etc for knockoffs. I found Nike to be equal quality for slightly less. Columbia, the Target brand, and the generic Walmart brand are so-so.

#183382 - 09/28/09 01:37 AM Re: Underwear [Re: MDinana]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
All of the various polyester underwear, such as UA seem to do such a great job wicking sweat and then distributing it over the entire shirt that it makes the wearer, usually me, the source of much greater complaining from family members. The body odor after a hard work-out seems to have been distributed over a much greater surface area for passers-by to get a much greater whiff of it.

Much less complaining with cotton T's, always.

Maybe it keeps me cooler when I want to be or warmer when I want to be, but there can be a social consequence.

#183418 - 09/28/09 01:56 PM Re: Underwear [Re: Famdoc]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I have UA Cold Gear and wear it for Winter dog training when it gets into the teens. With dog training, the activity is fast and furious for a few moments, followed by waiting. I am usually outside for 8-10 hour stretches. I feel much more comfortable (warmer/drier) with the UA on than when using cotton as an under-layer. I have never tried other brands, but probably will due to cost of UA.

My two cents...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 505 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.