Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#206919 - 08/29/10 11:15 PM Re: If you had to choose... [Re: 2005RedTJ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Reading through this thread just now, i am struck by the complete absence of the item I have used more often than anything mentioned in this thread - a good topographic map. Many carry a compass, but a compass without a map is fairly useless (although the mirrored ones make decent emergency signal mirrors). I can readily determine directions without a compass, and the information present on a topo map is often unique.

Lat night I watched (utterly bored, I guess) some hokey survival show on the Discovery Channel and I thought how easily many of their problems could have been solved with a good map, but then the show would have lacked spice and viewer appeal.

Just for the record, my top three would be map, lighter, and some sort of shelter/ clothing (hooded windproof shell or poncho) for many situations. Like many have stated, the top three vary depending upon your situation. In the Sonoran Desert in the summer, for instance, my top three items would be a canteen, another canteen, and yet another canteen - all filled with water,thank you.

Actually, I think the problem can be stated more realistically as, "What survival gear would you carry if you were limited to one pound total weight (perhaps excluding water and its container)?

Overwhelmingly, everyone lists a knife in their top three. Don't get me wrong,I usually carry some sort of knife, typically two. But I have spent some fairly tough nights out, including the one I consider the most demanding, the one where I came closest to getting into deep doo doo, and never used, or needed a knife.

#206921 - 08/29/10 11:43 PM Re: If you had to choose... [Re: hikermor]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Reading through this thread just now, i am struck by the complete absence of the item I have used more often than anything mentioned in this thread - a good topographic map. Many carry a compass, but a compass without a map is fairly useless (although the mirrored ones make decent emergency signal mirrors). I can readily determine directions without a compass, and the information present on a topo map is often unique.

Lat night I watched (utterly bored, I guess) some hokey survival show on the Discovery Channel and I thought how easily many of their problems could have been solved with a good map, but then the show would have lacked spice and viewer appeal.

Just for the record, my top three would be map, lighter, and some sort of shelter/ clothing (hooded windproof shell or poncho) for many situations. Like many have stated, the top three vary depending upon your situation. In the Sonoran Desert in the summer, for instance, my top three items would be a canteen, another canteen, and yet another canteen - all filled with water,thank you.

Actually, I think the problem can be stated more realistically as, "What survival gear would you carry if you were limited to one pound total weight (perhaps excluding water and its container)?

Overwhelmingly, everyone lists a knife in their top three. Don't get me wrong,I usually carry some sort of knife, typically two. But I have spent some fairly tough nights out, including the one I consider the most demanding, the one where I came closest to getting into deep doo doo, and never used, or needed a knife.

I can see where the topo map would be very useful in the outdoors. I hadn't really thought about that aspect as I spend most of my time in semi-urban areas. What woods we do have around my location are extremely well-known to me and a map wouldn't really be that useful in those areas (to me).

We also don't really have the kinds of remote areas here that other places do. If you drop me smack into the middle of the woods anywhere around here, walking for an hour or two tops in any direction would put me back on pavement.

The "one pound" limit brings a whole new aspect to the idea, I like that kind of thinking. I'm going to play around with that idea a little and weigh some stuff. Some of the gear I already have is of the ultralight variety, so 1 pound might allow a good bit of stuff along those lines.

#206924 - 08/30/10 01:00 AM Re: If you had to choose... [Re: 2005RedTJ]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
LOST OR STRANDED - that was the only given.

If I list 100 places or situations to get lost or stranded, my only goal would be to get found or rescued.

PLB - period.

The question was asked by an 11 year old. What one thing would you want her to have?

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#206933 - 08/30/10 02:37 AM Re: If you had to choose... [Re: ponder]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: ponder
LOST OR STRANDED - that was the only given.

If I list 100 places or situations to get lost or stranded, my only goal would be to get found or rescued.

PLB - period.

The question was asked by an 11 year old. What one thing would you want her to have?

Her daddy. grin

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren, chaosmagnet), 334 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.