Originally Posted By: DFA
The sog seal pup is more limited in the types of tasks than the LMF II. I know people like the SOG seal pup too...but it has the same pros and cons with the blade. The thing I don't like about the seal pup is the small useable blade length due to the blade stop in front of the guard. Secondly, the blade is also fairly thin throughout so it would not excel well in heavy tasks like prying or heavy camping chores. However, it is good steel so it does ok. It is certainly more "tactical cool" looking and lighter than the LMF II, but I would grab the LMF II over the seal pup if I NEEDED a KNIFE TOOL that I had to rely on.

Aside from that, the falniven A1&A2, CS Recon Scout, CS Trailmaster,RTAK II, Becker BK7, Becker BK2, RAT 7, Kershaw Outcast are more along the line of camp chore / survival knives that would fit your listed chores better.

While I offered my story about the pup saving our bacon (it was all we had), I would tend to agree with the above statement. All of my kits now include something from RAT Cutlery (not to be confused with the RAT line offered by Ontario) as the base knife with other knives (Mora, Ritter, Benchmade) as supplements/backups.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with or financial compensation from any of the mentioned companies... blah blah blah...

Edited by Grouch (09/11/09 11:04 AM)