Oldsoldier, I have not used that knife much myself but I bought one for a friend of mine and had a chance to play with it for a couple of days.

First off, it's one big, hefty knife for something with less than a 5" blade. In theory, that's a good size for a utility blade but the LMF II is a little overbuilt to the point of feeling off. The handle is relatively plain and smooth. I'd prefer something with a better texture. There are holes in the handguard and pommel to lash the knife to a pole. I see no practical value in that feature myself but ok, it's there. The pommel sticks out pretty aggressively. I'm no fan of a "skullcrusher" pommel. It can be dangerous if you fall and rubs on your other gear and clothing. The whole knife feels wrong somehow. Simply a piece of modern engineering with no balance, ergonomy, life, whatever you call it. The sheath is similar. Looks well made but overbuilt, with way too many straps and whatnot. Something simpler would've done the trick better. The built-in sharpener adds a nice touch though I'd consider it fit for touching up the edge only if you have nothing else available.

The LMF II has a very "tactical" look and is geared toward mayhem and abuse. IIRC the blade is made of 12C27 so it's tough for stainless steel but it doesn't really look like something strong enough that I'd want to do any heavy prying with. In terms of cutting performance, the LMF II is mediocre at best. The weird grip and overly wide blade mean it's awkward to use. A Mora is a FAR better all-around knife, especially for woodworking or food preparation. The LMF II is ok for opening a crate or smashing a glass window but as a knife, I'm sad to say it sucks. If you're not quite sure about that yet, you must try a Mora and you'll see the difference (not to mention the difference in price tag). Also, the serrations on the LMF II are a huge turn-off for me. Useless for cutting wood or anything more substantial than rope.

I'm not necessarily opposed to a large sheath knife. I often wear a USMC Kabar on my belt in the woods and I find it useful for many tasks. IME, the good old Kabar is a helluva better hardcore combat knife than the LMF II ever will be. The Kabar has a better and bigger blade, keeps a better edge longer and the grip shape and blade geometry are such you can still use it for basic woodworking and finer utility tasks. The buttcap is not pointed but you can break a window with it any time if you have to. It's also useful as a hammer, while the pommel on the LMF II is not. Electric insulation is about the only point in Gerber's favor but just how often you need that feature is another issue.

The person I bought the knife for wanted it because of all the raving reviews on the Web and tacticool look. I think he was pretty much disappointed with the purchase. The last I heard, he was about to sell the knife.

You could find worse knives out there but also plenty better ones. Especially for that price, which IMHO is really too much for what you get. As a dedicated knife nut I'm well aware we all have different tastes and needs. If a modern tactical mean-looking belt knife is what you're after with cutting performance and especially woodworking low on the priority list you'd probably like the Gerber LMF II. If you need a serious utility knife with general outdoor tasks in mind though, my advice would be to steer well clear. At any rate, do not buy the knife unless you've tried handling it so you can see for yourself what it's like.