Just from what I've heard/read, most child snatchers aren't armed. They either get the kid into the car by asking them if they want to see some puppies (etc), or they just step out and grab them, like this Garrido creep. Garrado's wife was driving the kidnapping car. If it were my kid, I think I would probably take the chance that he wasn't armed and try to take him down. Or cripple him. Or both. I wouldn't be adverse to breaking both his legs.

Yes, lots of variable and adrenaline could alter the situation, which is my main reason why shooting could be a very iffy way to handle the situation.

"From what I've seen of most men fighting, most of them don't seem to be very good at it." I'm sorry, I wasn't clear about what I meant. I meant the father of the child may not be much of a fighter, not the perp. I still think if anyone could get the perp from behind, they would have some advantage.

Following with a car and cell phone would be excellent, if you could. But luck doesn't always work like that.

Last month near Seattle, a boy saw his 4-yr-old sister taken into a man's car, and he chased it down and grabbed her out of the car. You do what you can with what you've got.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009213659_kidnap13m0.html