Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#180288 - 08/24/09 08:18 PM Re: Start a thread and teach us something! [Re: NightHiker]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Night hicker:

You are right, the "foam used is AFFF or aqueous film forming foam) Its like a bubble bath for an aircraft, and like a bubble bath if you don't like the bubble on you whip it off. It has two(2) actions smother and cool. It is despernced by a special truck that mixes the raw foam with water. I am sorry i don't remember the percentages of foam to water, but it may be adjusted at the truck to make the foam thicker or thiner. The thick stuff is used on the runway when a aircraft is landing wheels up. This reduces the sparks and hopefully the fire danger. After we are thru with the foam it is washed away with clear water, lots of water.

#180350 - 08/25/09 11:09 AM Re: Start a thread and teach us something! [Re: big_al]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Even standard firefighting units have foam containers to help with certain types of fires.

There is a container that holds the foam base. A special attachment fits it onto a hose so that the water mixes with the base and dispenses foam.

It has been a long time since I was a volunteer firefighter so I don't remember all the details now...

#180652 - 08/28/09 04:43 AM Re: Start a thread and teach us something! [Re: NobodySpecial]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial
Originally Posted By: scafool
So why are the guys spraying foam not afraid of smothering any passengers that might still be alive?

The passengers are generally inside the aeroplane, the fire is hopefully outside.
I think it's considered 'good form' to remove the passengers from the foam before they die.

laugh LOL

#180666 - 08/28/09 10:40 AM Re: Start a thread and teach us something! [Re: stevenpd]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Just a link from me I'm afraid.

http://www.vententersearch.com/supplemental/fdny_fe.pdf

How to get into places, by the New York Fire Dept.

#180667 - 08/28/09 10:45 AM Re: Start a thread and teach us something! [Re: big_al]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Oddly enough, I built a home for the owner of one of the largest AFFF manufacturers in the world.

I was amazed at the ingredients in the foam, and their percentages when he told me.

RIP OBG

#180757 - 08/29/09 09:08 AM Re: Start a thread and teach us something! [Re: Desperado]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Oddly enough, I built a home for the owner of one of the largest AFFF manufacturers in the world.

I was amazed at the ingredients in the foam, and their percentages when he told me.

I used to teach low level fire fighting skills in another job, to simulate AFFF I used to charge the extinguishers with washing up liquid. Pretty much the same results as foam mix but a lot cheaper.

#180758 - 08/29/09 10:53 AM Re: Start a thread and teach us something! [Re: Johno]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I learned the mix was 5% "Chemical" and 95% local tap water. His comment was the local municipal water department had made him a millionaire.

RIP OBG

#180781 - 08/29/09 05:33 PM Re: Start a thread and teach us something! [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Back to the origional post, becuase most of us are private people, it might be best to come at it the other direction- what do people want to learn about?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 193 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.