Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#18076 - 08/28/03 01:25 PM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys, one again thanks for all the sound advice! A week or so ago me and other three sat down at my place with lots of beer (i remember someone saying we had to think like thieves) I'm going to break it down in the way we did!

My Gear (we all have virtually the same kit-slight difference in torches etc.) Most gear will be about my person!

EDC-wave, resus pack, folder, money, mobile phone (fully charged)spare battery, fox 40, proton type light
Maglite-4d Cell
Petzl tikka for reading and fiddling!
Radio-to talk to each other with spare battery!
CS Spray, this was given by the charity as a back hand keep your gob shut this is illegal and we know it but we don't want you to die situation! (not much good but better than nothing)

I went out and bought a hydration system and it came with a rucksack, very small but handy for this i reckon!

IN BAG

Camelback hydration system
Couple of breakfast bars and hard sweets
Spare batteries for Mag and a spare bulb ontop of the one in the base!
Dog treats
Binoculars
Cagoule
STUFF LEFT IN MARQUEE-LOW VALUE

Dog bowl
Book
Chair with arms on!
Sleeping bag
Spare jumper
Hat
Sweets (boiled) and a couple of breakfast bars
Coat for the dog!

STRATEGY

We want to deter the potential thief! Not come to blows!

We intend to:

Roter system on two people on for two hours then off for two-whilst on duty will be walking round with other person!

Have a fire and leave lights on, the idea is to make it look as if there is someone in every marquee!

Vehicles will be left around the site so a get away can be made-one entrance for a vehicle to get to the the marquee's but it is possible to run about 100m to get to another exit where we can leave vehicles so we can exit if things get too nasty!

You must get through two padlocked gates to access marquees so we will check these regularly!

We have set routes for each patrol each night-the aim - every patrol is varied in some way-in some cases the two men split up!

The police are aware of our presence and have offered to come by! One is guy is taking a stove so the sargeant siad she would ask to see if any want to visit us on their break which would mean 20 minutes with 2 cops every 1 or 2 hours (but this may not happen)!!! Other than that she said she would have increased patrols to us and put us high priority if we have to ring them!

Just thought i'd keep you guys upto date, i will tell you how it goes!

Thanks again!

Mark-any last minute iadeas or thoings i have missed on our plan are welcome!

#18077 - 08/28/03 01:49 PM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on gear?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Since cops offered to come by ask them politely if they can:
a) give you one of their portable radios (slim chance but worth trying)
b) give you number of somebody who is going to be patroling the area
c) give you direct number to the station

That way you can shorten the response time by a lot.

Something else that I've seen cops doing a lot during comfortations is using open chanel. Obviously your radio communication is not being recorded so having open transmition won't help you much but if you have a small tape recorder it may be a a good help in case person you cought denies stuff later on. Also if threats are made to you it's hard to prove it in court since only two of you were present at the scene. Having a tape can make a big difference.

Matt

#18078 - 03/29/04 08:30 PM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having been a member for a fairly short time, but slowly making my way back through the postings, I came across this one from someone in the UK.
I am supposing the Marquee is being erected on the local village green or similar, with a dog as company and four others as back-up, I fail to see why a PSK would be needed, FAK perhaps, and as the local "Plod" will be in contact, I would suggest that the only other 'gear' you would need would be your MUMMY !!!!
Seriously, the forums are generally of great interest and it is disappointing to see it trivialised by questions like these.
I apologise in advance if I cause any controversy.

#18079 - 03/29/04 09:46 PM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on ge
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you actually read this thead? I thought that there were a number of decent suggestions in this thread for a non-police security detail. Not all of preparedness / survival is about having the gear to survive being dumped into the wilderness naked. A lot of urban survival is about situations like this where our daily activities bring us into areas and situations that might be handled a little more easily and with greater security if we take a moment and equip ourselves with thoughts, skills, attitudes and gear that is a little more forward thinking than most. This thread didn't actually discuss PSK's but some EDC gear and some steps that could be taken to stay better prepared to deal with the potential negative scenarios that might arise and how to avoid them. All in all very informative, I thought. Sorry you feel that making someones day / night a little safer while they are on duty voluntarily risking themselves for the good of society is some how trivializing your hallowed PSK.

#18080 - 03/30/04 06:39 AM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi whisky,

Firstly i think your response was a new jerk reasction-if you read all the thread and the responses, my needs became much clearer!

The work was on a countryside park on urban fringe which often has things stolen-the year previous all the marquees were stolen! (we didn't want a repeat of this as it was very costly-insurance companies dragged there heals)

The reason for th PSK was i knew if i didn't mention other people would suggest that i should have that with me as EDC and not wanting to look silly or unprepared......

Perhaps the thread was a little off topic but i believe there is much more stragey and thought in a event like this and am aware some of the guys from here are/were security/police personall and also have a good take on most things! As avid reader and a contributer where i can trhis was more me asking a favour-perhaps it should have gone in the other section of the forum-Chris didn't movce it so i presume it's ok!

Hope i cleared that up!

#18081 - 03/30/04 06:42 AM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry for the typo's it early morning over here and i only just got up!

Mark

#18082 - 03/30/04 07:00 AM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on gear?
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Mbrodw:
Hello and Good Morning, hope the coffee is on! Anyway, as one of the original posters to this topic who offered suggestions for equipment carried. I would like to know this (if not too much trouble) How did the job turn out? Who's suggestions did you finally go with, or did you use something from all of us?
Thanks

Stargazer
ASAP = Always Suspicious, Always Prepared

#18083 - 03/30/04 03:58 PM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No Problem!

Strong black coffee was on!

Firstly and perhaps most important-no confrontation was ever made-thankfully!

We decided that deterent was better than having our butt pinned to a wall so we lit a number on camp fires around the place at various distances!

I must say we liked baseball bat idea and stuck to it religiously-we kept them close at hand all the time! We also obtained/blagged/illegallly recieved a number of pairs of plastic handcuffs (look like cable ties). Again these were carried by all the guys but never needed so i can't say how good they are but they were light and seemed very sturdy!

I decided i wouldn't take a radio or book instead we came to the conclusions that quiz books were better-we quized each other to keep a wake-sounds silly but worked well.

The police made an appearence on a couple of evenings and a number of them very kindly gavve us their personal mobile phone numbers-they said any bother give us a bell-this would have been much quicker than ringing in! We brought some bacon and made bacon butties on the fire for the coppers as a bit of a thankyou-needless to say they went down very well!

The dogs were useless-something i overlooked was that they slept most of the nights-they were happy to go for a walk but thre minute you stopped moving they flopped!

Oh well hope this updates a bit better-if you want any morte info i'm quite happy to expand!

Mark

#18084 - 03/30/04 04:42 PM Re: Doing some voluntary security work-ideas on ge
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Kuboto and hard plastic groin cup give you a lot of advantages.

Even in England where obvious weapons may be restricted, a kuboto on your key ring can be easily explained away as necessary for handling your keys.

In my early (and yes often stupid younger days), you had to watch out for the guy you fought with that screwed short screws facing out on a hard plastic groin cup. It gives a whole new meaning to "knee jerk reaction" if you kneed someone so equipped.

Bountyhunter

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.