Originally Posted By: celler
I hate to be a spoil sport, but I would not be placing that thing anywhere near anyone's head or on a seatbelt next to my body. Looking at the mounting bracket, its plastic and holds the hammer in place with a flimsy tab. I would especially not place it overhead where someone's face could come into contact with it in a rollover. And if its on your seatbelt, what is going to happen when a pyrotechnic airbag comes into contact with it.

I happen the think the Life Hammer more marketing hype than anything else. You don't need a hammer to take out a side window in a car, a simple center punch will do and a seat belt can be sliced with much smaller and easier to carry tools which do not have the likelihood of becoming a missle or head-bash point in a collision. Benchmade makes a nice pocket carry all-in-one solution easily carried from vehicle to vehicle. Even the small Res-Q-Me could hang on a keychain and perform the same function.

Think about where you or your unbelted passengers are going to end up in a collision. Notice how the car industry has padded everything that your head may hit and how safety glass breaks on moderate impact into tiny pieces. YMMV.

Craig.

I have to disagree. I think the lifehammer is a good tool because:

- it's simple and therefore reliable. I have had a centerpunch fail, because the spring came loose.
- It's much more visible than a small rescue tool. Therefore easier to locate. (crashing is disorientating)
- The seatbelt cutter is a hook, which means it's safer to use than a folding knife.
- It also provides good grip. Small tools like a resqme is much easier to drop.

A properly mounted lifehammer is also much easier to grab in an emergency than an item in your pocket (which also can cause injury, during impact) Besides you can’t forget to bring it, if it’s mounted in the car.

I do Carry a resqme on mine belt…