The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179693 - 08/18/09 09:42 PM My homemade "FireLump" firestarter
MacTech Offline
Stranger

Loc: United States
I decided to try making my own wax firestarter, I grabbed some remnants of candles, a ceramic flower pot (no hole in the bottom) to act as a melting crucible, and a few "additions" to the wax mix

I dropped the candle stubs in the flowerpot, and lit a propane torch to melt them down to a liquid consistency....

Lesson 1, you're working with fire and flammables, make sure you have a way of extinguishing flames, once the wax had all melted down to liquid, I had a merry little roaring fire in the crucible, placing a metal plate on top of the crucible cut off the oxygen and extinguished the flames quickly

next time I melt down candles for FireLumps, I'll do it outside on the asphalt driveway, this *could* have ended badly if I panicked.....

Once I had liquid wax, I added in some ingredients to the liquid

Sawdust (it sizzles when it hits the wax), a few handfuls of that
Dryer Lint (also sizzles) a few handfuls of that as well
0000 Steel Wool, I heard it burns, and it couldn't hurt to add it

I mixed the ingredients into a thick, waxy goop, *then* added my secret ingredient.....

A capful or so of Hodgdon H4381SC smokeless propellant (IOW, Gunpowder), H4381SC is a relatively slow burning propellant, earlier this afternoon, I test burnt some on a paper towel on the driveway, it took about 2-3 seconds for it to completely burn up, compared to Winchester 231, which is a much faster pistol powder (same quantity burned up in about 1/2 second), 4381 will yield a slower, more controlled burn

After I let the FireLump cool and cut it out of the ceramic pot, I squeezed the pieces together into a roughly spherical, lumpy ball, peeled off a piece about the size of my thumb, and put it in the fireplace, under some tinder, and lit it with a fireplace lighter

It took a couple seconds to catch, but once it did, it began burning merrily, the combo of sawdust and dryer lint gave it a strong basis, and whenever the fire would hit granules of 4381, there would be a small jump in flame size and temperature, all in all, a very consistent, hot flame

the FireLump fragment was extremely resistant to wind, nothing would blow it out, and the small pile of tinder was quickly reduced to ash, the FireLump itself continued burning for a good ten minutes, still having the occasional flame jump due to a 4381 granule burning off, after about 15 minutes, the fire winked out, the only thing that I was burning was a small pile of twigs and a dry maple leaf or two, that thumb-sized chunk of FireLump would have given plenty of time to get a decent survival fire going in inclement conditions

All in all, a successful test

next test, submerge a piece of FireLump in water (to simulate getting rained on), then shake it off and try to light it, this will test the water-resistance of the sawdust/dryer lint combo, and see if the gunpowder is compromised by moisture, or will the granules embedded in the wax be protected? it's a given that any surface granules will be damaged, but what about the granules in the core?

#179695 - 08/18/09 10:48 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: MacTech]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
HOLY COW! IT'S BLAST, JUNIOR!

If he lives in Texas, it isn't the hurricane season the folks down there have to worry about. *shudders*

"Please pass the thermite."

"Here it is. Need any C-4?"

"Oh, maybe just a little. Well, a little more than that. Okay, that looks good."

And all of a sudden the Gulf of Mexico is larger and deeper than it used to be.....

#179703 - 08/18/09 11:51 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: Susan]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd skip the gun powder. For several reasons.

#179711 - 08/19/09 12:22 AM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: TeacherRO]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Ditto.

I'd put in magnesium flake. *grins* I'd probably also take out the steel wool.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#179715 - 08/19/09 12:35 AM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: ironraven]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Maybe a little saltpeter, charcoal, and sulphur, just for kicks.

#179716 - 08/19/09 12:41 AM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: Susan]
MacTech Offline
Stranger

Loc: United States
Susan, don't worry, I'm up in New England, besides, smokeless propellant isn't *explosive*, that's black powder, smokeless propellant simply burns rapidly, there's very little propellant in the FireLump, just enough to keep the burn rate consistent

I'm processing some vids of the propellant (50 grain load, approx 3 grams or so) and the FireLump in action, the FireLump is on a fresh, green maple leaf, a leaf which the FireLump renders to ash by the end of the vids, I'll link to them when I'm done

50 grains of H4381SC
FireLump part 1 of 4
FireLump part 2 of 4
FireLump part 3 of 4
FireLump part 4 of 4

Edited by MacTech (08/19/09 01:56 AM)

#179722 - 08/19/09 02:14 AM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: MacTech]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
nice work--try putting a heavy wick into it,that should help light it faster--note i said wick not fuze--

#179728 - 08/19/09 03:06 AM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: MacTech]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Lesson 1, you're working with fire and flammables, make sure you have a way of extinguishing flames,

Yep. blush
Keeping a list of alibis on hand also helps. whistle

-Blast, who swears it was the cat's fault.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#179732 - 08/19/09 06:29 AM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: Susan]
marantz Offline

LOL!! Once again, Susan, you crack me up and made my day. I didn't even know we could type in large screaming red letters. How did you do that, BTW? I don't see any font options on my reply page. Bless you for this and all your other wonderful posts.

MacTech (aka "Blast, Jr.") - Two quick thoughts: one, how about some powdered magnesium? Two, fires on asphalt will, at the least, soften and/or bubble the pavement. With persistent high heat, you can even start it on fire. And I think that Susan will agree with me that you're just the guy to do it. So think concrete, or at least concrete block. And thank you for your research.

#179737 - 08/19/09 12:37 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: marantz]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: marantz
LOL!! Once again, Susan, you crack me up and made my day. I didn't even know we could type in large screaming red letters. How did you do that, BTW? I don't see any font options on my reply page. Bless you for this and all your other wonderful posts.

MacTech (aka "Blast, Jr.") - Two quick thoughts: one, how about some powdered magnesium? Two, fires on asphalt will, at the least, soften and/or bubble the pavement. With persistent high heat, you can even start it on fire. And I think that Susan will agree with me that you're just the guy to do it. So think concrete, or at least concrete block. And thank you for your research.

Below the reply box is a button to select "Switch to Full Reply". Once you select that option, there are all manner of capabilities that appear across the top of the text entry box. I just wish it could improve my typing skills sometimes.....

BTW, All explosives burn, just at different rates.

Edited by Desperado (08/19/09 12:49 PM)

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.