Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#179756 - 08/19/09 04:11 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
speaking of burn rates, I read that gunpowder was once originally used in Asia to cauterize wounds - how crazy is that?

#179759 - 08/19/09 04:21 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: MDinana]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: MDinana
speaking of burn rates, I read that gunpowder was once originally used in Asia to cauterize wounds - how crazy is that?

If its good enough for Rambo, its good enough for me! LOL

#179796 - 08/19/09 11:23 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: MacTech]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
A Mac tech from New England- you wouldn't be with Small Dog, would you?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#179797 - 08/19/09 11:42 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: Desperado]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A friend has an interesting fire starter recipes that feature a Kingsford BBQ brickette. Sometimes just wrapped in aluminum foil. Sometimes in wax paper. His more elaborate was a version that had been smeared with a bit of Vaseline and dipped in wax. Kingsford seems to be the best brand because it has, evidently, more potassium nitrate that allows it to light quicker, stay lit in light rain, and form a nice coal very quickly.

#179798 - 08/19/09 11:53 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: Art_in_FL]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
A friend has an interesting fire starter recipes that feature a Kingsford BBQ brickette. Sometimes just wrapped in aluminum foil. Sometimes in wax paper. His more elaborate was a version that had been smeared with a bit of Vaseline and dipped in wax. Kingsford seems to be the best brand because it has, evidently, more potassium nitrate that allows it to light quicker, stay lit in light rain, and form a nice coal very quickly.

That is interesting.

This may warrant testing in the future smile

#179831 - 08/20/09 01:01 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: Todd W]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Although it's only a single briquette, I assume standard CO warnings would still apply?

(And if I'm overreacting, let me know. I recognize that I'm very sensitive to the subject due to life experiences of my own.)

#179836 - 08/20/09 01:49 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: Compugeek]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
As it would with virtually any fire starter product, assuming it is being used to start a fire. The fire itself would be generating CO and therefore should only be in an area with adequate ventilation.

Pete

#179900 - 08/21/09 12:25 AM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: paramedicpete]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
I'm surprised the wax, I'm guessing parrafin, didn't inactivate your smokeless powder, Mac. What size steel wool did you use, 0000? I've found that to burn well, unless it rusts, which it does almost instantly when exposed to moisture. Good test, good report. Thanks.
Any combustion, possibly except hydrogen/oxygen, will produce CO and so should be done in well-ventilated area.

#179946 - 08/21/09 02:03 PM Re: My homemade "FireLump" firestarter [Re: MacTech]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: MacTech
I decided to try making my own wax firestarter, I grabbed some remnants of candles, a ceramic flower pot (no hole in the bottom) to act as a melting crucible, and a few "additions" to the wax mix

I dropped the candle stubs in the flowerpot, and lit a propane torch to melt them down to a liquid consistency....

Little saftey tip here: The melting point of candle wax is lower than the boiling point of water. To melt candle wax, put your melting pot in a larger pot of water and bring the water to a slow boil. (i.e. use a double boiler)

Slower than a propane torch, but much safer.

Old boy scout trick for making fire staters is to pour wax into egg cartons (the thick paper type, not the styrofoam ones) with dryer lint or saw dust. You get 12 little cups that burn for a long time. Tear or cut off one of the cups and light the paper.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 577 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.