The older trappers always kept large wooden kitchen matches handy. (often in a sealed tube to keep them dry)
I never liked carrying them because they would get damp and useless or they could light up in your pocket by accident.
I always had either a bic or a zippo handy, and had the kitchen matches in the cupboard at camp.

I really prefer the spark rods like Doan's Magnesium or Firesteel as an emergency lighter to carry over any spark wheel I have seen so far.
When your hands are so cold that turning a key in an ignition lock is a huge challenge you certainly do not want to be struggling with a finicky spark wheel, not even on a bic lighter. (of course you should have had a fire going and be warming your fingers around a mug of hot tea before you ever got that cold to start with, but that is another thread)

Sometimes we trade a bit too much of item's functions off in favour of compactness and reduced weight.
It is fine that if you don't have it with you it does you no good, and the bulkier it is the less likely you are to carry it, but the other side is that it has to work when you need it, and work under the worst conditions.
To sacrifice effectiveness for reduced size often results in a useful tool becoming reduced to nothing but a trinket, and it is a strategy that should be used with a bit of caution.

There is one thing the sparklight score well on. It can be used with one hand. If you have been hurt you might only have one hand available to do things with.
(It is the same reason I like putting one hand opening knives in emergency kits if they can not carry a fixed blade.)