Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#185741 - 10/18/09 01:45 AM Re: What is your "sanity" urban kit ? [Re: UpstateTom]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
How often do those Wolfhounds take you out for walkies....?

Now that is what I consider a dog.

Make my Greyhounds look like a pair of Chihuahuas...

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#185744 - 10/18/09 02:37 AM Re: What is your "sanity" urban kit ? [Re: JohnE]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Originally Posted By: JohnE
How often do those Wolfhounds take you out for walkies....?

Now that is what I consider a dog.

Make my Greyhounds look like a pair of Chihuahuas...

Every day. I take them to our pasture and let them run. I don't take them into town all the time anymore. I think the traffic jams are fun (people slow down and gawk) but I worry. Its a blast to take them around and watch people trip and stare. They love people and it is an outstanding way to meet new people (that means women)

Side note:
There are a lot of aggressive pits and rotts in my neighborhood/town/area. I am not worried about my dogs, more the owners of the other dogs. These owners are the kind of people that would let their dogs attack to see if they are "tough enough" for fighting in a ring. My dogs would defend themselves, but if I was threatened they would be lethal. I have seen what happens when a wolfhound protects, its very fast and deadly. I do not want to deal with the fall-out of others stupidity.
I have an extra.

#185761 - 10/18/09 06:55 AM Re: What is your "sanity" urban kit ? [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There are people who are dumb enough not to make the connection of 'wolf'+'hound'. It isn't because they look like wolves.

'Woofhounds' -- wonderful dogs, but their lives are too short.

Sue

#185762 - 10/18/09 07:03 AM Re: What is your "sanity" urban kit ? [Re: UpstateTom]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
My EDC Palm PDA, which is (with some accessories) for:
(not in any particular order)
  • eBooks reading. Helps to spend time productively when there is nothing else interesting to do (like taking a bus to work).
  • Day planning assistance. Not just following the check lists but recording voice, images, video, handwriting notes/diagrams for future processing.
  • Copies of all of my documents ready to view and print. MS word, Pdf, Excel, scanned images (personal, financial, technical, work related, etc...).
  • Information: logins/pins/passwords/codes/keys data bank, address book (personal and white pages), calculators, units converter, vocabularies, encyclopedias on many subjects, etc...)
  • Navigation: GPS, buildings plans, transportation maps (and schedules), travel guides, etc...
  • Communication: email, IM, social networks (phone is separate device).
  • Entertainment for me and my family: music, video, solo and multiplayer games.
  • Information exchange (use it as a big flash memory stick).
  • Programming in C++ (yes, my work is one of my hobbies too).
  • Flash light. It's not very bright tactical light, however I have a custom application which makes it much more versatile than any advanced multimode flash light (for example I can type a text and it will flash it in Morse code by red colored light).
  • Universal IR remote control (however the readily available device database I have is only ~500 devices so far).
  • Send and receive faxes (yes, some people are still insist on using fax to communicate frown )
  • Serial protocol device controller (I can rig it on top of Roomba vacuum cleaner and force it to go and trigger an explosive for example cool ). Seriously it helps me very much at work to simulate various devices which I don't have readily available at hands due to the budget constraints.
  • Wireless spy camera (recording or broadcasting in real time).
  • Internet, where available (WiFi, 3G over BT). There are a lot of fascinating things going on in the universe (just skip the politics, economy, and celebrities).

All in the palm of my hand for 10 hours without recharging - enough to help me through the day and beyond.

Edited by Alex (10/18/09 07:19 AM)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.