dweste,

I envy you. I was trying for this approach a few years back. Find a nice live aboard and basically live in it for a few years. The mortages down here are nuts and housing is nuts. I could get a good deal on a yatch in Flordia, sail it down, and register it Caymanian. If a storm is coming, fill up with a tonne of provisions, and sail due south as fast as it can go.

But dreams like that die when you hook up with a woman who gets sea sick swimming in the ocean with no waves!

One day she promised me that I will own my own boat... i'm waiting for that day.

Kris

btw: A/C is important off shore when there's no wind. Try being stuck out in the carib ocean, no movement for a few days and just drifting. Running a generator or the engine for a few hours for the A/C alone is welcome relief. Some people have solar panels hooked up to their freezers and/or A/C units and while the freezer is using the juice the A/C unit isn't and then reverse it. Not sure how its hooked up but have a buddy who has that arrangement on his 43' cat with enough solar panels covering the whole back deck (its his canopy!).