The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177064 - 07/21/09 05:38 AM 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Unfortunately the best that can be said from this situation is that it can be used as a reminder that water is a priority and dehydration does kill.

I was going to say that the outcome couldn't have been worse, but in reality the family was lucky. If they had been in a more remote location I am sure we would have had additional fatalities... it would have been only a matter of time.

AZ Central

#177066 - 07/21/09 08:21 AM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: Alan_Romania]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
That's a very sad story.

A four hour hike in 105º to 110º heat. I wonder how much water the family carried in total.

#177071 - 07/21/09 09:38 AM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: Alan_Romania]
LED Offline
Veteran

Similar story out of Palm Springs. Bodies of 2 hikers found, and 3 other hikers rescued. The desert is no place to fool around.

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=10755837

Edited by LED (07/21/09 09:40 AM)

#177081 - 07/21/09 02:13 PM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: NightHiker]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
That is sad frown It's so easy to get dehydrated... especially when out having a good time with no worry. Always gotta be thinking.

#177086 - 07/21/09 02:47 PM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: Alan_Romania]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It seems once again that folks underestimate their environment leading to another tragedy.

Trekking in 110F or 43C heat in the desert isn't a good idea in the first place no matter how much water you carry. Typically for 3-4 hrs in these temperatures a minimum would be 8-10lbs of water to carry and a conscious effort is required to down at least 2-3lbs of water per hour.

The difference between this poor lad suffering from terminal hyperthermia, whilst the rest of his group survived could have easily just been the difference in the colour of clothing worn or even not wearing a wide brimmed hat. frown Just as the correct clothing is important in cold climates, it is just as important in very hot climates. i.e. wearing thick wollen socks and using thick felt undersoles in the boots together with wearing string vests in the desert is just as important as wearing them in the arctic.

It sounds as if the group failed to notice the early onset of the victims hyperthermia as well.

#177087 - 07/21/09 03:16 PM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
They 'wasted' water trying to cool him down? What?

When most people think of the desert, they probably think of cattle skulls bleaching in the sun, and then go out into 110F heat to hike. Crazy.

Poor boy, short life.

#177113 - 07/21/09 05:35 PM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: Susan]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I don't go for hikes when it is that hot, period. But I always carry plenty of water in my car, hydrate like crazy before hiking and maintain hydration while hiking. Knowing how much water you sweat and respirate out of your body, you need much more than normal in arid climates.
The other place you find yourself in danger of dehydration is in cold climates, you never notice that you are dehydrating.
A good rule of thumb, if you are not 100% certain of resupply, you turn around at the point you have exhausted half your supply, go back to your starting point where you have extra reserves. Better safe than sorry.
That still leaves a lot of wiggle room for a person to get in trouble. Hyperthermia is just as dangerous as hypothermia and appears to be much more sudden in onset.
All in all, a huge tragedy. My heart pours out for the family, it is such a terrible shame to have a young life snuffed out. Even wholesome, healthy family outings can turn deadly in certain conditions.

#177117 - 07/21/09 06:09 PM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: Tarzan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Whenever we hike when it's 100+ it's near a lake, or river, or it's a combo kayak/jet-ski ride + a hike with water around all the time. I can't imagine 100+ hiking in the desert for fun frown

#177196 - 07/22/09 06:08 AM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: Todd W]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
One of the hikers that was with this group is reporting they had plenty of water and some statements that don't add up to what I saw... She is correct that the news doesn't have the story 100%, but I have to say I am impressed at how correct the news reports have been.

Regardless, this poor kids core temp was 41.8C (107.3F if my math is right) on arrival at the hospital... after active cooling with ice packs, cold water and cool IV fluids in the field.

We run an ridiculous amount mountain rescue calls during the summer on these "city parks". You would be surprised how many people you see out there with no water or how many dogs have been killed on the mountain.

#177320 - 07/22/09 10:30 PM Re: 14 year old hiker dies in Phoenix, AZ [Re: NightHiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Yeah this was just not smart. At South Mountain where this happen, it's just a cooker. All the issues of a desert surrounded on four sides by millions of tons of asphalt and concrete to add to the convection oven temperatures.

The videos showed a bunch of the family in pretty bad shape as well. There was another guy that same day who was heli-vac'd off another trail in town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 729 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.