I'm glad to see the new urban sub-forum here at ETS. Thanks in advance to Doug and our new moderators.

Like many aspects of life the things we do to enhance survivability must take context into account, and the urban environment presents a different though related context to the wilderness environment. When it comes to equipment one of the big differences is that in the wilds we typically wear and carry purpose-designed gear, and we don't care what others may think of that gear or how it looks. In an urban business environment that approach likely changes.

We've already established that the urban scenario likely involves being on the move. With that in mind, here are a some ideas to improve personal comfort and mobility.

- Choose shoes that provide comfort and support but maintain needed appearances, i.e. Rockports. For ladies who must wear high heels a spare pair of real shoes is critical. I've read accounts from 9/11 survivors who reported seeing piles of high heeled shoes tossed aside in the WTC stairwells.

- Choose undergarments made of tech fabrics or the new no-itch wool blends. For guys with beefy legs (like me) the synthetic boxer briefs prevent chafing on the inner thighs from hours of walking.

- High quality waterproof/breathable outerwear is available from many top tier makers in lightweight, urban-neutral colors.

- Select bags & briefcases that offer comfort when carried for hours, not just during the walk from the car to the office building. There are some briefcase & shoulder bag designs that have backpack straps which hide away behind the back panel.

More ideas?