Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#176147 - 07/13/09 01:26 AM Words from the sheriff...please read
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I just wanted to remind you all that this may look like just another internet forum but in reality it is much, much more. It is actually the waiting room of a very small company that is trying to convince really big companies to spend their money to keep their workers and customers safe. Doug Ritter works his tuckus off trying to get airlines, cruiselines, railroads, auto manufactures, etc... to try and take safety seriously. Meanwhile he's graciously allows us crazy people to hang out in his reception area.

Now look over at the "Who's Online" tool, who do you see on the board? Mostly names we recognize, right? Same people day after day...plus (as I write this) 28 guests. Who are these guests? I don't know, you don't know, they could be anybody.

There's a good chance one or more of them is from one of those big companies that Doug is trying so hard to make safer. Why are they checking out this board? Quite likely to find words to use AGAINST Doug. So when Doug is facing them across a government table they can pull out a bunch of knuckleheaded quotes and say, "Why should we listen to this guy? Look at the types of people he hangs out with!"

This exact scenario has happened to Doug a number of times. The fact that he keeps this forum open in light of this is nothing short of amazing.

So what does this all mean? It means that from this moment on I am no longer loyal to a particular religion, race, friend, or political dogma. My loyalty is only to Doug Ritter's dream of making the world a better place. As a moderator my actions will be driven by what is best for the Equipped to Survive Foundation.

As forum participants, I hope you will do the same.

Thanks.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176149 - 07/13/09 01:32 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Many thanks extended to Blast and KG2V! Here's to great things accomplished, and many more to come.

RE: Words from the sheriff - a good reminder, and duly noted.

#176152 - 07/13/09 01:38 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: yelp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Blast, good point. I never really thought of the Guest section that way. I'm sure in the last 900 or so posts I've probably said one or two things that could have nipped DR a bit. If so, I apologize. And then I thank you Blast for the reminder!

Several weeks ago I had a big lecture on professionalism at work. Guess it's good advice here too.

#176153 - 07/13/09 01:38 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: yelp]
TomP Offline
Journeyman

Blast- I am glad you will be moderating. Each moderator brings a certain style to the party and yours has always been fun and informed.

#176159 - 07/13/09 02:12 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: TomP]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Agreed sir thanks.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#176163 - 07/13/09 02:28 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Good points, Blast.

#176169 - 07/13/09 02:43 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Excellent point, even for those who know it in our heads and don't always remember it in their typing fingers. Those "guests" include everyone from school kids doing homework to people's bosses (or prospective employers if you link here from a blog or some social network) to, as Blast has said, people who we really want to take us as a group seriously. The reason I've hung around is because we aren't stereotype "survivalists".

ETS has always had style and sanity. My mother, a medical librarian who is on the contingency team for her hospital, has used this place. I can't imagine she isn't the only parent/spouse/child of a member to use us as a professional source, and I know a lot of us regulars have as well Even if we are the sideshow in Doug's circus, let's not embarrass ourselves.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#176177 - 07/13/09 03:25 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Thanks Blast, This schould be a BLAST wink haveing you as the Modarator. Also I am looking forward to the new Forum. Put on your star and load up with 6. smile

#176182 - 07/13/09 04:17 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
RoverOver Offline

Loc: Kali4nya
You Definitely have the Right Mind for this position,& I will pledge: NOT to "Point my finger"in Cyber speak as,I so did in my last post.I Apologize to All involved,& to All of whom,Read it! I digress! Hey! where did I learn that? smile

#176199 - 07/13/09 10:55 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
As you are not likely to receive much thanks from forum members who really get aware of your actions as moderator: Thanks in advance and may your job be an easy one.
I will try to behave.

#176202 - 07/13/09 11:44 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: M_a_x]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
A sincere thank you goes to Blast and all others, including participants, who make this forum such a valuable resource. The new sub-forum seems timely and should be very useful. smile

#176207 - 07/13/09 01:13 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Grouch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Considering the marketing purpose of this forum, it is a great testament to Doug's wisdom that he allows as much open and candid discussion, even somewhat off-topic as he does. By leaving the majority of our content published and open to the public, he fairly gaurantees the integrity of this forum, even thought at times some of what gets posted here may contradict his marketing efforts, it simultaneously makes it a decent platform where opinions and ideas can be freely aired, discussed, argued, and refined. It is this open style that also allows us to get trapped into petty political, ideologic, and egotistic arguments that are at the least distracting, and usually insulting and derogatory, bearing no value for the public or for Doug's business purposes. Perhaps it is a necessary evil, but it is one that can be well managed. A proper moderator will help keep our eyes on the prize, and minimize the abuse of this privilege, keeping this forum respectable and an asset to the owner.

To that end, we can all be stewards of content. A modicum of politics may be germane, if it can stimulate good, productive discussion, but interpersonal challenges, dogmatic opinion, and derogatory or disparaging comments are of no use here. I ended many such discussions by ceasing to respond because there was nothing more to add to my points, and further dialogue would only incite challenge or defense. That list is in the hundreds, and should probably be bigger than it is.

We can certainly make Blast's job easier by minding the tone of our posts and choosing our words with respect. We can disagree with one another, and we can offer our own perspective on an issue, but as mama used to remind me (sometimes with a wooden spoon), watch your tone. It is advice I've tried more and more to heed the longer I've been on here.

#176226 - 07/13/09 02:48 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: M_a_x]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'm with you one that Blast..as we all know some posts have "red flags" in the title so i don't go there.if a post like that gets just a few hits it's better than a long drawn out back and forth personal hassle..at another site someout put it this way..this was so-and-so's site,it's like going to his home to vist.some people are in the living room looking at knives,some are in the yard putting up tents and others in the kitchen trying out recipes.you treat the site like it's someones home or maybe like this one his office and not a local slezzy bar..

#176231 - 07/13/09 03:06 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: benjammin]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Doug has provided an excellent resource here, and I think there's a lot of benefits to having an open public discussion. In fact, I know I've had my opinions swayed by the professional and dedicated people on this forum I've grown to trust. And I've certainly learned a lot I didn't know or better yet - thought I knew and was wrong.

I don't regularly go to any other sites like this because of the unique qualities found only here. There's sometimes discourse (and sure - a thread gets hijacked now and then), but the moderators have been fair and consistent. I'm happy to have Blast join them as his posts and attitude have always been high caliber and often fun. If you take a look at most forums on the Internet, the Signal-to-Noise ratio here is next to unbelievable.

Thanks to all our moderators and our kind host for continuing to provide and maintain a fantastic resource. I'll continue to support his efforts in spirit and in the real world (read: money!) as much as I am able. I'll start by keeping this in mind: Anything anyone on this forum says may be held against Doug and his efforts in a court of public and private opinion.

#176253 - 07/13/09 04:59 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: massacre]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal

To reinforce what Blast mentioned, I picked up a copy of "GPS for Dummies" at my local book store and right there in the middle of it was an endorsement of Doug and of the ETS website along with a recommendation to check it for more information.

Even the dummies know to come here!

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#176262 - 07/13/09 05:27 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: JohnE]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Glad to hear Your the new moderater Blast, but please be careful.

I don't think anybody want's to see this place blown up! smile

#176265 - 07/13/09 05:42 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Cauldronborn]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Blast, Thank you for both your willingness to moderate and your great perspective in your opening remarks. I never thought about the guests as potentially being some high-powered folks looking for "insight". Also, I would add my hardy "YUP!" to benjammin's comment about tone. Thanks guys.

Blast, again, thanks a ton for your willingness to moderate. I am confident Doug and the Forum will be very well served.

#176285 - 07/13/09 07:19 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Blast,
Thanks a million for stepping up to the plate to help out. I look forward to your seeing things continue on to serve all of us in learning more and keeplng us on target. I have a special gift for you. I am brewing it up as I write this. Will deliver to you soon!
kmat

#176288 - 07/13/09 07:27 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
All is good, the forums are in good hands.

Pete

#176290 - 07/13/09 08:11 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: paramedicpete]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Well stated Blast.

I'm happy to see you in a moderator position and I'm sure you'll do a great job!

#176301 - 07/13/09 10:52 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: 7point82]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

I'm glad to see enthusiastic greetings for our new volunteer moderator. But I'd like a little reassurance on what this new policy means.

There's a big difference, in my mind, between a post that displays bad manners and a post that displays polite, principled disagreement. I'm all in favor of improved online manners, and new sheriff who helps enforce this is certainly welcome! But I would hope that the statement "As a moderator my actions will be driven by what is best for the Equipped to Survive Foundation" would still allow for those who might disagree with Mr. Ritter or ETS, either on a technical detail or a philosophical outlook, to be able to express those opinions, as long as it is done in a polite and appropriate way.

#176307 - 07/14/09 12:09 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Michael2]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
There's a big difference, in my mind, between a post that displays bad manners and a post that displays polite, principled disagreement.

That's a good question and you've already answered it with the word "polite". We are all adults and should be aware that a difference in opinion does not require a personal attack. There are always going to be times when people either 1)need to agree to disagree or 2)use the "Ignore" button. Either works for me.

Sidenote: just because a post can be taken the wrong way does not mean it should be taken the wrong way. Give everyone the benefit of doubt in that they really weren't attacking you ("you" used generically). The benefit of this is that if they weren't attacking you you won't look foolish and if they were attacking you it will really irritate them that they weren't successful. grin

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176310 - 07/14/09 12:35 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Blast,
Thanks for volunteering and helping out!

BTW, I still use those pictures you sent me in a couple of presentations wink

Edited by Alan_Romania (07/14/09 12:36 AM)

#176313 - 07/14/09 12:56 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Alan_Romania]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I still get over 100 hits a day on my blog specifically due to that incident. shocked
Damn cat.

-Blast

#176315 - 07/14/09 01:31 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: ]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Welcome to your new position Blast. As a relative newcomer I wholeheartedly agree with your rationale and support the decision. I will do my best personally to keep my conduct in accordance with your standards

#176316 - 07/14/09 01:37 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

I still get over 100 hits a day on my blog specifically due to that incident. shocked
Damn cat.

-Blast

As soon as my wife downloads the photos, I shall be sending you images of our cats swimming. It wasn't their idea, but I wanted to prove it was possible.

Yes, there was some minor blood loss, but no ER visits.

RIP OBG

#176351 - 07/14/09 01:41 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Duly noted. Thanks Blast--like everyone else here, I prefer to build Doug's reputation and company rather than hurt it.

#176374 - 07/14/09 05:48 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Still_Alive]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Well written Blast! Glad that you took the job!

#176408 - 07/14/09 10:42 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Quote:
There's a big difference, in my mind, between a post that displays bad manners and a post that displays polite, principled disagreement.

That's a good question and you've already answered it with the word "polite". We are all adults and should be aware that a difference in opinion does not require a personal attack. There are always going to be times when people either 1)need to agree to disagree or 2)use the "Ignore" button. Either works for me.

Sidenote: just because a post can be taken the wrong way does not mean it should be taken the wrong way. Give everyone the benefit of doubt in that they really weren't attacking you ("you" used generically). The benefit of this is that if they weren't attacking you you won't look foolish and if they were attacking you it will really irritate them that they weren't successful. grin

-Blast

Blast, you hit the nail on the head. This forum does seem to have some rather passionate points of view, but in my experiences, there's been very few (relatively speaking) instances where it's turned ugly.

I can't remember once where Blast was on the offense... nor when he actually was attacked. Another reason he's the right new guy for the job.

#176416 - 07/15/09 12:04 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: MDinana]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I can't remember once where Blast was on the offense... nor when he actually was attacked.

Oh, I've been on both sides of that coin. There's more than one reason I'm called "Blast". blush My biggest fear is leting DR down by slipping up like that again.

I just keep reminding myself that I've never learned anything from someone who agrees with me.

-Blast

#176419 - 07/15/09 12:33 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Congratulations Blast, remember to not let patrolling the site consume you of your exploring. I can't think of a better mod but keep the adventures alive, Confucius says- when fun becomes work, then work becomes not fun (or something like that).

#176786 - 07/18/09 07:06 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks Blast for helping ETS Forums!!!!!

I really will try to behave!!!!

#176800 - 07/18/09 09:07 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Thanks Blast for helping ETS Forums!!!!!

I really will try to behave!!!!

Is that why you sent Blast a six pack of congratulatory kitties?? smile

#177467 - 07/24/09 06:16 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Stu]
JRR Offline

Congrats on being promoted to a thankless job. Moderators on message boards are a generally under appreciated lot. One thing I disagree with, however, is painting all guests with such a broad brush. I lurked here for a long, long time before I finally registered. And it wasn't to tattle-tale on anyone. It's because I'm generally shy and I was soaking up a LOT of information. It took me a while, even after I register to feel I had anything worth saying. I know others are the same - I have a good friend who reads these boards - I hear him say all the time it's one of his favorite sites to visit - yet has never registered or posted. Maybe some of those guests have an ulterior motive, but I'd bet most of them are either shy, new to the survival game and are just absorbing information, or perhaps just found this place through google and are checking it out.

#177478 - 07/24/09 10:44 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: JRR]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: JRR
One thing I disagree with, however, is painting all guests with such a broad brush.
While this is true, the point that was being made is that there are observers here that are not "one of us" and may not understand in-jokes or be tolerant of tempers. If these are people that are considering doing business or supporting ETS, and they are turned off by what they see in the forums, it would be a Very Bad Thing. I imagine we would cetainly be curteous if such a person registered and posted here; we must also behave this way because they _might_ be here.
So just remember that it's like a one-way mirror; just because you can't see someone back there doesn't mean they're not watching you.

#177479 - 07/24/09 10:57 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I just wanted to remind you all that this may look like just another internet forum but in reality it is much, much more. It is actually the waiting room of a very small company that is trying to convince really big companies to spend their money to keep their workers and customers safe. Doug Ritter works his tuckus off trying to get airlines, cruiselines, railroads, auto manufactures, etc... to try and take safety seriously. Meanwhile he's graciously allows us crazy people to hang out in his reception area.

Now look over at the "Who's Online" tool, who do you see on the board? Mostly names we recognize, right? Same people day after day...plus (as I write this) 28 guests. Who are these guests? I don't know, you don't know, they could be anybody.

There's a good chance one or more of them is from one of those big companies that Doug is trying so hard to make safer. Why are they checking out this board? Quite likely to find words to use AGAINST Doug. So when Doug is facing them across a government table they can pull out a bunch of knuckleheaded quotes and say, "Why should we listen to this guy? Look at the types of people he hangs out with!"

This exact scenario has happened to Doug a number of times. The fact that he keeps this forum open in light of this is nothing short of amazing.

So what does this all mean? It means that from this moment on I am no longer loyal to a particular religion, race, friend, or political dogma. My loyalty is only to Doug Ritter's dream of making the world a better place. As a moderator my actions will be driven by what is best for the Equipped to Survive Foundation.

As forum participants, I hope you will do the same.

Thanks.
-Blast

I was going to PM you re an issue I have with some of the posts, but apparently I can't. Appears your "ignoring" me.

So:

Spelling, grammar and syntax. Some members are good. Some not so good. Unfortunately the standard of all three seems to slip at times. Can all the members please pay attention to what they type. Presentation on this forum is very important. Looking cultured and educated adds weight to your words. If you have not done so, download the google tool bar. It's spell checker is compatible with this website. Alternatively, consider composing your post in Word and then copy and pasting it.

#177486 - 07/24/09 12:29 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: JRR]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I disagree with, however, is painting all guests with such a broad brush.

Just to clarify, in my post I said:
"There's a good chance one or more of them is from one of those big companies that Doug is trying so hard to make safer."

This shouldn't appear to paint every guest with the same motive. I lurked here and many other forumns for months before joining. I understand a majority of guests are just people wanting to learn and actually they make up a majority of our overall visitors.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (07/24/09 01:43 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#177487 - 07/24/09 12:34 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Spelling, grammar and syntax. Some members are good. Some not so good. Unfortunately the standard of all three seems to slip at times. Can all the members please pay attention to what they type.

Always good advice. The impression you make is based on the words/grammer you use. Smart people with bad grammer rarely get taken seriously.

Sidenote 1: Non-native speakers of English should not worry about this.
Sidenote 2: Shouldn't there be a "?" after "what they type" instead of a "."? wink

-Blast

#177496 - 07/24/09 02:19 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Quote:
Spelling, grammar and syntax. Some members are good. Some not so good. Unfortunately the standard of all three seems to slip at times. Can all the members please pay attention to what they type.

Always good advice. The impression you make is based on the words/grammer you use. Smart people with bad grammer rarely get taken seriously.

Sidenote 1: Non-native speakers of English should not worry about this.
Sidenote 2: Shouldn't there be a "?" after "what they type" instead of a "."? wink

-Blast

True.

Sidenote: There are several reasonable translation programs on line. Also google toolbar does a word for word translation on most major languages.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 597 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.