Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#176301 - 07/13/09 10:52 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: 7point82]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

I'm glad to see enthusiastic greetings for our new volunteer moderator. But I'd like a little reassurance on what this new policy means.

There's a big difference, in my mind, between a post that displays bad manners and a post that displays polite, principled disagreement. I'm all in favor of improved online manners, and new sheriff who helps enforce this is certainly welcome! But I would hope that the statement "As a moderator my actions will be driven by what is best for the Equipped to Survive Foundation" would still allow for those who might disagree with Mr. Ritter or ETS, either on a technical detail or a philosophical outlook, to be able to express those opinions, as long as it is done in a polite and appropriate way.

#176307 - 07/14/09 12:09 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Michael2]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
There's a big difference, in my mind, between a post that displays bad manners and a post that displays polite, principled disagreement.

That's a good question and you've already answered it with the word "polite". We are all adults and should be aware that a difference in opinion does not require a personal attack. There are always going to be times when people either 1)need to agree to disagree or 2)use the "Ignore" button. Either works for me.

Sidenote: just because a post can be taken the wrong way does not mean it should be taken the wrong way. Give everyone the benefit of doubt in that they really weren't attacking you ("you" used generically). The benefit of this is that if they weren't attacking you you won't look foolish and if they were attacking you it will really irritate them that they weren't successful. grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176310 - 07/14/09 12:35 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Blast,
Thanks for volunteering and helping out!

BTW, I still use those pictures you sent me in a couple of presentations wink

Edited by Alan_Romania (07/14/09 12:36 AM)

#176313 - 07/14/09 12:56 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Alan_Romania]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I still get over 100 hits a day on my blog specifically due to that incident. shocked
Damn cat.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176315 - 07/14/09 01:31 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: ]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Welcome to your new position Blast. As a relative newcomer I wholeheartedly agree with your rationale and support the decision. I will do my best personally to keep my conduct in accordance with your standards

#176316 - 07/14/09 01:37 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

I still get over 100 hits a day on my blog specifically due to that incident. shocked
Damn cat.

-Blast

As soon as my wife downloads the photos, I shall be sending you images of our cats swimming. It wasn't their idea, but I wanted to prove it was possible.

Yes, there was some minor blood loss, but no ER visits.

RIP OBG

#176351 - 07/14/09 01:41 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Duly noted. Thanks Blast--like everyone else here, I prefer to build Doug's reputation and company rather than hurt it.

#176374 - 07/14/09 05:48 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Still_Alive]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Well written Blast! Glad that you took the job!

#176408 - 07/14/09 10:42 PM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
There's a big difference, in my mind, between a post that displays bad manners and a post that displays polite, principled disagreement.

That's a good question and you've already answered it with the word "polite". We are all adults and should be aware that a difference in opinion does not require a personal attack. There are always going to be times when people either 1)need to agree to disagree or 2)use the "Ignore" button. Either works for me.

Sidenote: just because a post can be taken the wrong way does not mean it should be taken the wrong way. Give everyone the benefit of doubt in that they really weren't attacking you ("you" used generically). The benefit of this is that if they weren't attacking you you won't look foolish and if they were attacking you it will really irritate them that they weren't successful. grin

-Blast

Blast, you hit the nail on the head. This forum does seem to have some rather passionate points of view, but in my experiences, there's been very few (relatively speaking) instances where it's turned ugly.

I can't remember once where Blast was on the offense... nor when he actually was attacked. Another reason he's the right new guy for the job.

#176416 - 07/15/09 12:04 AM Re: Words from the sheriff...please read [Re: MDinana]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I can't remember once where Blast was on the offense... nor when he actually was attacked.

Oh, I've been on both sides of that coin. There's more than one reason I'm called "Blast". blush My biggest fear is leting DR down by slipping up like that again.

I just keep reminding myself that I've never learned anything from someone who agrees with me.

-Blast

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 556 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.