The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#175530 - 07/01/09 03:47 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: UncleGoo]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Tinc benz brings back some horrible memories, It hurts like a barsteward but works. I once had a very sadistic army medic suck the fluid out of a big heel blister and inject the bloody stuff under the skin. Absolute pull me down off the ceiling pain for a bit then zinc oxide tape over the heel and soldier on.

Nowadays I'm a bit wiser and use a hydrocolloid dressing and zinc tape, pretty much the best way I've found in 20 odd years of playing soldiers.

Edited by Johno (07/01/09 03:49 PM)

#175548 - 07/01/09 11:50 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: NightHiker]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
Here's a couple of popular treatments:
Blist-O-Ban
and
GlacierGel

No first hand experience with these though.

#175555 - 07/02/09 02:56 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: lifeview]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: lifeview
Here's a couple of popular treatments:
Blist-O-Ban
and
GlacierGel

No first hand experience with these though.

Glacier-Gel is AWESOME.

I usually don't go for the "new" stuff, but this stuff is great.

New ice hockey skates and dance shoes for kids provide plenty of blister repair issues for me.

Edited by Desperado (07/02/09 02:58 AM)

RIP OBG

#175567 - 07/02/09 02:48 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: Desperado]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Well as luck would have it, I got a nice sized blister on my heel yesterday. Today I am going to buy some product and get back to the forum in a day or so.

#175586 - 07/02/09 07:05 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: NightHiker]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Johno
Tinc benz brings back some horrible memories, It hurts like a barsteward but works. I once had a very sadistic army medic suck the fluid out of a big heel blister and inject the bloody stuff under the skin. Absolute pull me down off the ceiling pain for a bit then zinc oxide tape over the heel and soldier on.

Best blister treatment ever! How long was it before you ever got another blister in that spot again? Or went to your medic complaining of a blister laugh

(note- if you're going to try this at home make sure that after injecting the tincture you suck it back out, you only need enough to get the flap to stick to the flesh, otherwise you risk tissue damage from the alcohol)

grin Never went back again, self medication from then on. You only take that pain once. It must be the closest thing to childbirth a man can experience.

#175597 - 07/03/09 01:37 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: Johno]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas

Best blister treatment ever! How long was it before you ever got another blister in that spot again? Or went to your medic complaining of a blister laugh

(note- if you're going to try this at home make sure that after injecting the tincture you suck it back out, you only need enough to get the flap to stick to the flesh, otherwise you risk tissue damage from the alcohol)

grin Never went back again, self medication from then on. You only take that pain once. It must be the closest thing to childbirth a man can experience.

Never had anything stuck in a zipper yet huh?

RIP OBG

#175604 - 07/03/09 03:09 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: LED]
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

I have found the second skin covered with Leukotape P the work the best for allowing existing blisters to heal.

For blister prevention I usually tape my heals and toes, where I usually blister, with Leukotape P which usually holds for a couple days of hiking. Duct tape never stays put very long with my sweaty feet.

I have also started using Engo blister pads which are teflon pads that you stick in your footwear rather than on your foot. These have been great and usually survive several weeks of hiking.

http://goengo.com/

If you are cheap I know a number of hikers who use bubble wrap and duct tape over the areas where they blister which seems to work well at reducing the friction.

#175627 - 07/04/09 06:05 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: Dan_McI]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

+100! Spenco Second Skin is simply the best stuff there is for blisters. It takes one from being a hobbled invalid to feeling as if there is nothign wrong.

This is not an exaggeration. I'm seriously amazed at how well it works.

#175628 - 07/04/09 06:11 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: NightHiker]
LED Offline
Veteran

Can you only do this if the skin flap is still intact?

#175629 - 07/04/09 06:47 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: LED]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: LED

Can you only do this if the skin flap is still intact?

You can use the tinc benz to disinfect and dry the blister and surrounding area as a prep for a second skin type dressing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 637 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.