What do people about using solar power in general? I've messed around a little bit with it and it seems to me that these smaller size panels have a definite place in and around the house.

I like the idea of having some modularity, is that a word?, by that I mean instead of a single system replacing my power company feed, a collection of smaller, self contained solar systems combined with some decent batteries and inverters.

I know that currently the cost of solar is still higher than traditional forms of energy production so I'm not going to save any real money, I simply like the idea of having a couple of hundred watts worth of power available should the mains get shut off. I also believe, from what I've been reading that we are on the verge of making some major improvements in the efficiency of solar technology in general.

At a minimum I'm going to set up a solar system to power my Ham radio "shack", everything I use is either meant to be used with 12volts or can be easily used with batteries and an inverter.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen