Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173417 - 05/17/09 06:49 PM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I haven't seen one of the Opinels in years- it was one of the items that disappeared after my grandfather died. They do work very nicely. I'm thinking about getting a Laplander or the Kershaw version.

I EDC my Supertool rather than one of my smaller classic PSTs because it has that saw. I use it much, much more than I do the file. It is the same kind of saw you find in a SAK, and if I'm going off the blacktop without my LM, I have a Huntsman for the saw.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#173438 - 05/18/09 03:26 AM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: fordwillman]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Test them all again on 12" logs at -40c and you may find that the one you missed, i.e. a Standard Bow Saw is best.
boreal.net

#173441 - 05/18/09 07:56 AM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: BruceZed]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

There's no doubt that as far as small folding saws go, there are some decent options (SAK, Leatherman) that are a whole lot better than the wire saw.

However, as Bruce just pointed out, the real problem is elsewhere. I love the saw on the large SAKs and even my Leatherman Wave. They work great for what they were made to do - occasional (light) sawing branches or small trees (3" max.).

But in reality, if you ABSOLUTELY need a saw in the bush you'll need it for much bigger chores. I don't need a small folding saw to cut shelter poles. A big sheath knife will do a much better job. I can cut shelter poles or trim branches with a USMC Kabar a lot faster than I could with the saw on my SAK. A small axe is even better. With my GB Small Forest Axe I can easily chop down pretty sizeable trees. Let's say anywhere up to 8" with relatively little effort and a good deal bigger than that if I really had to. Good luck trying to cut down a tree that size with your pocket knife or multitool saw.

In my experience, saws have only one serious use in bushcrafting - cutting down fairly sizeable trees into construction material (eg. making an advanced shelter, ultimately even a log cabin) or firewood (short sections that can be easily split with an axe). Both are legitimate and sometimes extremely important tasks and cannot be achieved efficiently with any other tool. If you need a saw for serious work however, a folding saw with at least an 8-10" blade is the absolute bare minimum IMHO. A bigger saw (heck, even a chain saw if possible) will save you a world of sweat and frustration. Anything smaller is pretty much a toy/last ditch option. As far as all the other tasks go, you'd generally be better off with a large sheath knife, machete, Woodman's pal or a small axe than a saw.

#173445 - 05/18/09 12:13 PM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: Tom_L]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

+1 on Chris' points about the BCB wire saw. They have done quite well in my tests. You can get them here from the great folks at Best Glide.

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
With my GB Small Forest Axe I can easily chop down pretty sizeable trees. Let's say anywhere up to 8" with relatively little effort and a good deal bigger than that if I really had to. Good luck trying to cut down a tree that size with your pocket knife or multitool saw.

Good luck fitting that axe into a palm-sized survival kit.

#173455 - 05/18/09 02:59 PM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The Laplander is identical to what I see on the west coast of the USA as a Sierra Saw. I do not EDC them or take on a day hike but any camping trip or real back country trip for sure. I use my Gerber version almost daily for pruning my palm tree fronds. Walmart actually sells a Ozark brand model that isn't half bad less than $6.

#173458 - 05/18/09 04:03 PM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
Good luck fitting that axe into a palm-sized survival kit.

Who says survival items have to be palm-sized? Why limit oneself to miniature tools with less than optimal performance?

#173465 - 05/18/09 05:53 PM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: Tom_L]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Which is why I went to packing a chainsaw in my packs a long time ago. I'm not talking about the motorized type, but the ones that fit in a shoe polish tin and can cut up to 16" logs. They are faster, more portable, generally more durable, and easier to get into tight places. IF you don't like pullling on a chain, then cut a sapling or two and fashion it into a bow saw.

#173466 - 05/18/09 05:57 PM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: Tom_L]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The BCB wire saw goes into my Altoids tin. The SAK with saw a pocket and bowsaw and Hudson's Bay axe the slots on my german rucksack. It's called layering people, just like clothing or firemaking redundancy. Once in awhile that wire saw is actually handier for some cuts.
And more often than not, it's like all the cutlery and firearms backing each other up and never used.
Unless you are in a survival situation, or what could quickly TURN INTO ONE, please think woodsmanship first.
Choose your trees with the eye of a tree trimmer or forester and leave the forest a little healthier.
Again, I recommend the crosscut saw manual from the website I listed above. If you understand the very sophisticated technology of a quality handsaw the optimal use of everything else is better understood.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/18/09 06:02 PM)

#173493 - 05/18/09 10:57 PM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: BruceZed]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
No argument that a 24-30" bow saw will beat all of these. Then again, give a choice between my pocket folder and my broadsword at an unpleasantness, I want the broadsword (if I can't bring something with a bit more oomph). This was a comparison of SMALL saws, which I'm more likely to toss into my pack for a day's hunt or an overnight camping trip than a full sized sword.

Now, if we are going to talk larger saws, what are people's thoughts on carrying just the blade of a bow saw, and scrounge a bow from the woods when needed (and using the smaller, fine work saw to make it).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#173504 - 05/19/09 01:27 AM Re: Small Survival Saws [Re: ironraven]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Small saws are properly addressed along with full size for the same reason some people think a space blanket is some magic kit from the folks at NASA.
I've carried just bowsaw blades in the past. But the wieght impact of a handle is negligable and properly packed it will not hang up on brush. And sometimes, even in a resource rich environment finding the right raw material can take far to long.
I took a naysayer for a hike to show him Miner's Lettuce after talking about wild edibles. My route has always been a haven for the plant. I couldn't locate a single specimen. I told this to my chumash friend who turned beet red. So I asked my redfaced redman what was up? He had hiked the route the previous week and harvested every plant for a local elemtary school talk.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.