I've worked on so called "reality" television shows, all I can add is this, the show's producers have gotten you talking about the show, which is it's own form of promotion which is what television is all about.

"Reality" television is anything but, I used to think that if people knew about the shenanigans that are going on off-camera that they'd get turned off to it but that doesn't seem to be happening. We've gone from knowing that the dramas and comedies weren't real to thinking that the "reality" shows were real only to find that they're not and now people watch them anyway, a full circle of product placement and promotions for stuff we don't need and can't afford.

And as for driving away the folks who know better and ignoring good advice and the food issues mentioned, I'll only add this, for each hour that's broadcast there are probably anywhere from 20 to 100 hours that were cut out. That's where you'll find the actual decision making taking place, the interpersonal conflicts that are being promoted by the producers etc. One show I worked on had dozens of cameras rolling virtually 24 hours per day for 21 days, net result was about 15 hours of aired content plus some crap posted on various websites and no doubt a "directors cut" available only on DVD some time in the future.

So who else is gonna watch Celebrity Apprentice tonight...?

Edited by JohnE (05/10/09 03:39 PM)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen