"There are still bad underpasses though inside Houston"

I believe there was one underpass on 610 on or near the exit you take to go to the Galleria where I watched someone actually disappear into the water. I know it was over on that side of 610 somewhere. Absolutely treacherous, and you'd think someone would be smart enough to at least post signs.

IIRC, the big concrete canals are probably the safest place to be when it floods in Houston. Huge canals, but the water level never seems to even get close to the top. I never saw more than a few inches in the bottom of the Braeswood canal. Now the streets, those will fill up over the curbs.

Reminds me of sitting on the porch out in west Texas (Lubbock), during a thunderstorm, watching the river go flowing by on what was a cobblestone street an hour previous. Man, I kinda miss sitting in the front porch swing during a storm with Grandad, munching on salted tomatoes and peppers, listening to him tell me about catching mustangs.