Swede or rutabaga is the same thing. My one grandpa called them swede, my other grandpa called them baggers, my grandma called them turnips when she set them on the table. So I tend to use all the names.
The Rutabaga is the big turnip which is orange/yellow inside. (Usually they are waxed for storage but not always. The wax is just to keep them from drying out.)
We called them swedes when I was a kid. I suppose because the Swedes were the first to grow them, or maybe because they came here from there was why they were called swedes.
When they were first grown they were for cattle feed. I can remember a hand cranked machine for shredding them on my grandfather's farm. They had to be roughly shredded so the cows could chow down on them. I don't know anybody who grows them for feed any more and the turnip shredder was never used in my memory.

Swedes are very common in the grocery stores here.
The smaller ones with white flesh which are intended for fancy table use do not have not nearly as much flavor and I never bother with them.

I usually just boil them and mash them with salt, pepper and butter.
My cousins like to mix them with mash potatoes. I know a lot of people who slice them into sticks and serve them raw like carrot sticks.

I didn't want to go far off thread.
There are a lot of other vegetables that seem under priced, beets are another example along with cabbage.
One reason is that most people are not sure how to use them or consider them poverty foods and only for poor people. Another reason is that they are not instant foods. Beets take a long cooking time.
A third reason is that a lot of them are not in single serving sizes. One Rutabaga is the vegetable serving for a medium sized family. It is the same with something like a Hubbard squash or a head of cabbage.

One other thing you can save on is making your own pickles and preserves. Sauerkraut is a natural, so are pickled beets, or kimchee. These are so natural that you don't even need to be a foody to do it, and fermented (natural) pickles are delicious.
If you go to the farmers you can buy carrots, cabbages, beets and potatoes by the bushel so cheap it would make your head spin.

You can figure that every level of distribution between you and the grower doubles the price, so 4 levels of distributors means 16 times the price.
This is why food co-ops make so much sense. A co-op might be able to cut out 3 or even 4 layers of distributors. You might have to deal with a bit of bulk and might need to volunteer to do a bit of repackaging, but if you can deal with it the savings are very worth while.
Even if you are just setting up a co-op with a few neighbors the ability to buy wholesale makes it worth the aggravations.
Fortunately most cities already have co-ops set up and looking for members.
I seem to be a bit of a fan for co-ops.