Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17141 - 06/15/03 06:13 AM A word to the wise about self-defense weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to interject a word to the wise about the use of self-defense weapons.

First, let me say that I am not at all opposed to someone carrying and using one or more weapons to defend themselves or others. On the contrary, I am all for it. However, you need to do more than just carry the weapon. You need to know how to use it. What I am talking about here is being trained -- not just using the weapon against an imaginary opponent in the mirror. If you are not familiar with how to use your weapon in a self-defense situation, and if you have not practiced using it, your opponent is going to take it away from you and feed it to you. That goes for any type of weapon, regardless of what it is.

That goes double for firearms. How thorough is your training in self-defense or combat handgunning? How well can you function under the pressure of life threatening conditions? Can you even find your gun? Can you clear your holster or pocket without shooting yourself? Can you shoot accurately under pressure, and can you place a shot in a vital area of one or more assailants in quick succession? If you are in a situation where deadly force is warranted, it is not sufficient to just wound the assailant. You are going to have to kill him, and you'd better do it with the first shot. If you are not mentally and emotionally prepared to take another person's life, you should not carry a firearm. Furthermore, you should know that if you are NOT prepared to kill your assailant, he is going to pick up on your lack of confidence. You are not going to bluff him in to thinking that you are going to use the gun when you are not. He WILL attack you, and most likely he will prevail. He will either feed your weapon to you, or will use it on you. In either case, you will be worse off than if you had no gun in the first place.

Martial arts is another area where it is important to be properly trained. Reading martial arts books and watching martial arts movies is all well and good, but that does not teach you martial arts. Improperly delivering a kick, blow, throw, lock, etc, can maim, cripple, or kill an opponent when all you may be wanting to do is stop the attack. This can open you up to major legal problems. You can also hurt yourself if you improperly perform some of these moves.

Give serious thought to your selection of weaponry. Do you really want a weapon that requires you to get up close and personal with your attacker? It is possible that he also carries a weapon, and he may be more skilled with his weapon than you are with yours.

Please be careful in the selection and use of self-defense weaponry. If you are not, you will not be the one that survives.

#17142 - 06/15/03 12:05 PM Re: A word to the wise about self-defense weapons
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
totally agree mate. Theirs a lot of kids around where I live who carry weapons, flash em off and then burst out crying when someone takes offence and beats seven shades of s**t out of them. I'd add keep it concealed right up to the last minute and only draw it if you intend to use it. Personally i prefer trying to talk my way out of it or running and only fight if I have to. I mean how much is your life worth? less than your wallet or a broken nose?

#17143 - 06/15/03 12:37 PM Re: A word to the wise about self-defense weapons
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I fully agree with you. I know some people who carry weapons for self defence ( mostly pepper spray or knives). I have a strong feeling that the weapon may give them the confidence to stay and fight when they should run. As they lack the skill and attitude for fighting this is bound to invite trouble.

#17144 - 06/15/03 02:09 PM Re: A word to the wise about self-defense weapons
WOFT Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
As with the others, I totally agree with you. Thank you writing up your post.

I did take everything you said into consideration when choosing my baton. Without going into a long-winded discosion about other options, etc., let me just say that my weapon is right for ME in my PRESENT SITUATION. Awareness of your surroundings, criminal tacics, local laws etc. will dictate what weapon you carry, if you do carry one.

#17145 - 06/16/03 12:17 AM Re: A word to the wise about self-defense weapons
Anonymous
Unregistered

It sounds like you thought things through and made an informed decision. It was good to read that you received training in the use of your baton. You will never regret it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.