I figure if I can thoroughly teach one plant at a time I am doing well.
I try to adopt a shopping market approach. It is a bit off to explane, but it is about knowing your plant very well.
If you are after carrots in a store you will see them and not notice all the stuff in the store. It is like that in the woods too.
If you know the plant well you even know just where it will be in the store and what section of the produce section to look in, just like in the woods.
I have found that trying to teach lists of plants with their different look alikes just confuses people and they don't retain it anyhow. Especially when I am dealing with people who are not even familiar with the plants they eat everyday because they have only seen them in plastic wrappers in a store.
(I meet lots of people who would not know a carrot from a potato growing in a field.)
I like your idea of growing some of the plants. It would work well with berry canes and annuals fort sure. Habitat matching might be a problem with some of them though. I also like the plant to be accessible enough that they can see it at all seasons, hopefully that they see it and recognize it every day, and use it regularly if possible.

I do the same thing with the dangerous plants and with the mushrooms.
I only bother with about 8 mushrooms, and like with the plants, don't use it if you are not certain that you know it.