Originally Posted By: SBRaider
We have them on our apartment buildings. IMHO they have saved us a ton of time and money by not having to replace locks and doors after an emergency situation. I do know a record is kept every time the FD to access the box. I believe a radio signal is sent to dispatch to the responding unit, releasing the access key for use. Seems like a fairly secure system.

That's what a local fire marshal told me the other day while we were discussing Knox boxes while hanging out on a job site. They have a box in the fire truck that can only be opened by receiving a computer signal from the 911 dispatch center.

Every time the box on the fire truck is opened, a log entry is made of who authorized the box being opened, who removed the key, the time the box was opened, the time it was closed, and which key was removed.

We mount them in the vicinity of the front door to buildings, outside of sprinkler riser rooms, and outside of machine/electrical rooms containing fire alarm control units. They come with a sticker to affix to the door letting the FD know there's a Knox box in the vicinity of the door before they chop it open.