Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17081 - 06/12/03 12:23 PM water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Being the new kid on the block, i would like to express an idea that has been bugging me ever since I read the condom-as-a-water-container advice.
How do you judge the idea of a condom-shaped container made by some aluminum breed that would end in a circular metal plate. In the other side, the end will have a metal ring and it will close with the help of a light plastic tap, with a covering hole in it ( to make a distiller if need be). As I see it, this contraption could fold like a condom, contain more water, since it can be made in every shape desired, can be put over a fire and would not take more space that the typical condom. Plus , I think it would be more durable. What do you think?

#17082 - 06/12/03 12:29 PM Re: water storage
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
If you scroll down about half way on the page Doug has alternates for water storage. I'm sorry but I 'm not getting a good visual on what you are describing maybe a picture would help.

http://www.equipped.org/etsbriefings202.htm

#17083 - 06/12/03 12:31 PM Re: water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
As I see it, this contraption could fold like a condom, contain more water, since it can be made in every shape desired, can be put over a fire and would not take more space that the typical condom.

Not sure I understand the design. You are attempting to create something from metal that will hold as much as a liter of water, work as a boiling - potentially pressure vessel for a still and be collapseable to the size of a stored condom? You have some design skills that I don't understand or some materials that I haven't encountered before. Fascinating idea!

Pictures or better design specs please?

#17084 - 06/12/03 01:14 PM Re: water storage
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
keyord in original post was: "aluminum breed material"

I kind of grasped his concept but I don't think materials are available yet. I think that he is talking about colapsible water jug made out of metal. Bottom will be outlined with a metal ring in order to stabilize the jug on the hot plate or ground and top with have another metal ring that will make structure more sturdy and serve as a flow regulator or stopper holder. Good concept yet on the heavy side.

matt

#17085 - 06/12/03 01:51 PM Re: water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

is this something akin to aluminum foil? Is there a link to some site which explains it's properties.

I still think that adding the two metal plates / rings to the equation prohibits this from attaining the size of a packaged condom. You might get away from the weight problems if you design the article shuch that it uses the altoids tin for the top and bottom plates. This would also alievaite some of the size problems. You would have a packageing / re-assembly problem tho. Hmm......

#17086 - 06/12/03 01:57 PM Re: water storage
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
In theory you are talking about aluminium foil that is as flexible as a condom but durable enough to be used for boiling on the open flame. But again this is all what I assume from original posting. I personally prefer a good ol' condom in a sock as my water storage device.

Matt

#17087 - 06/13/03 06:47 AM Re: water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

To start , I would like to thank everyone for their time. And yes, my description was not very accurate, but my drawing skills are even worse. What I am describing is a condom - like device that will last longer, can be put over a fire, weights more but not overly so and one that can be used to make a distiller (actually two of those must be used). To that end, I propose:
The device will be made from some kind of metal that will probably withstand a fire but be able to collapse as well. Like the material from which icecreams are packed as not to melt, from Haagen daaz for example.
The open end will have a metal ring as a stablizer, over which the 'water condom' will fold. Also, over this ring a plastic cup will fit.
At the closed end, the ' water condom' will end to a metal plate, so that it will withsatnd the fire. The plate will be circular and smaller than the ring, so that it will rest inside the ring when the 'water condom' will fold.
The plastic cup will fit over the metal ring on the open end and will completely cover it to prevent accidental water loss. It will also completely envelop the 'water condom' when closed. Finally, it will have a small covering opening that will enable straw perhaps to pass in order to use the ' water condom' as a distiller. So overall:
Outer ring: 2,5 cm diameter
Bottom plate : 1,5 cm diameter
Length open : 20 cm ??
Lenth closed : 1,5 cm ??

The above specs are approximations. So my questions are:
Is there a material that will withstand the fire and the folding? I plan to experiment with plain aluminum foil soon.
Is it possible to fuse the metal plate at the bottom without the fire destroying it?
What will the final length be when closed, do toy think?

#17088 - 06/13/03 04:25 PM Re: water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

The closest material that I could think of right now would be something like a metal dryer vent hose... but to have a capacity large enough, it would still be too big when collapsed... not to mention it would most likely be a "one time use" item. Those things are a bear to fold back up once opened.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.