Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17076 - 06/12/03 05:54 AM Chemical Lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I stumbled on this while surfing for some camping equipment, and thought I should pass it along. Chemical lights have been around for years, and I'm sure more than a few people have them in thier BOBs, or their cars' glovebox.

http://www.hdssystems.com/ChemicalLights.htm

I have a bunch of chemical lights stashed in various places. Although they don't usually get bumped around, I did pull one out to see if it worked. It did, for the rated 6 hours (as noted on the package), but once the time was up, it went in the garbage. They are a great backup-backup I suppose. I don't think I'll take any with me camping though.

Just something to think about.

#17077 - 06/12/03 12:08 PM Re: Chemical Lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

A very interesting article indeed. I have been reluctant to use chem-lights because they are single use. I have a problem with anything that is single-use and not bio-degradeable. Not that I don't consume my share of styrofoam coffee cups and I certainly have some chem-lights. I don't pack them as emergency tools since they offer little useful in the scenarios I expect to find myself in. In mmost 72 hour scenarios there will be a time of stabilization where light is necessary. (extraction from smokey building, setting up expedient shelter after dropping out of the sky unexpectedly etc.) After that short time of stabilization, if it is dark I will have a signal fire burning and if I don't I can simply lay down and sleep. For that short duration stabilization period the activities require more light than that provided by most chem-lights. The military extra-bright ones might do the trick ( and being mil-spec, they might be more durable) but the cost and single use factors don't sway me from the flashlight dependancy. I have an ASP saphire light on my key-chain a AA Mag light in my vest pocket, and a photon 2 in my PSK. Of the three the Mag light is the most water resistant and the brightest (when the batteries are full) All would be sufficient to handle the stabilization tasks and far brighter than the chem-lights.

JMHO

#17078 - 06/12/03 02:25 PM Re: Chemical Lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not found chem lights to work reliably as stash items. After storage for a year or so, far too many have failed to activate. One exception is those made to Coast Guard specsfor attachment to PFDs.

The standard chem lights make great kids playthings when camping, also making the children far easier to spot after dark.

#17079 - 06/12/03 03:58 PM Re: Chemical Lights
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Go with a Krill, although not as bright, one is able to use regular AA batteries and has the added feature of turning it on and off as needed.
Check the ETS comments:
http://www.equipped.org/krill.htm
Pete

#17080 - 06/12/03 10:20 PM Re: Chemical Lights
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Like Pete, I also use Krill lights, with lithium batteries : very long shelf life, 50 hours run time (for the Extreme models), on/off possibility ... I got some in my rucksack, in the car and my suitcase : it's enough to light a hotel room, in order to cross it without banging in the furniture, in case of power shortage.

I still keep some Cyalum (or another brand ...???... not sure...) in the car, just in case I need to toss a few of them behind my broken down car, on the side of the road and leave them there .....

Alain

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.