Well, somebody's thinking here. A small package of multi-vitamins can help keep you going for a long time out in the open. Eating rodents is okay, provided you can gag them down. I posted once before about trying to eat an Armadillo. After 4 days without food, I was only able to put down about three bites, while holding my nose, and then I couldn't eat anything the rest of the night without gagging hard. I would rather eat ants than Armadillo, I don't care how you cook it.

Besides the clothes on our back, all we had was sticks and rocks, but we did manage to catch, kill and cook the Armadillo, and given a little more time we might've moved up the ladder a ways. Armadillos are tough, but a 20 lb rock dropped on their heads is tougher. I imagine porcupines are just as nasty, as might be skunks, badgers, etc. I doubt I would ever get hungry enough to eat them without finding a better way to cook them then spit whole over an open fire, and believe me, leaving the guts in while they cook does not improve their pallet.

I did eat a lot of grass shoots, a few ants, a lot of water, and one grub. The grub was the absolute hardest thing to get down. Perhaps if I'd found some way to kill it without rupturing it, it might've gone down easier.

All I can say is, for 13 days, any average person should be able to survive without a significant food source.

Pemmican rocks!!!