Great information from so many! I live in Texas, which is warmer than a lot of other places so the baits we use are good for that climate and fish we have here. My small survival fishing kit I made up is a small compartmentalized plastic box with a hinged lid; 4"X6"X1 1/2". That may seem too large for many and it is much larger than any PSK, of course, but I carry this in my Maxpedition Jumbo shoulder bag so I have plenty of room for this kit and it has everything I need to fish with except a rod and reel! I use clear acrylic bobbins from a sewing store with braided Spider Wire and these are great for braided lines. Also, I took a hobbyists tropical fish net and removed the net part and it takes up only a space about the size of a marble when really scrunched up tightly; to be re-installed on a field expedient handle to scoop up minnows in the shallows for bait or if one is really hard up - for food. One more thing I have had great success with is the smallest size Rebel brand lure, a crawfish with two very small treble hooks on it. I have never used these without catching something! They must be truly irresistable to fish as you draw them through the water. I also have a 12' length of fairly heavy line and 8ea treble hooks along with a few heavier weights to make up a trot line which is very effective to take channel catfish using guts to bait the hooks from other fish already caught. In my area, water sources necessarily mean food if you know what you are doing and this food is easier to get at than trapping mammals and birds any day.