Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#169094 - 03/11/09 02:46 AM When Technology Fails available online via Google
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
When Technology Fails by Matthew Stein.

Google hasn't posted the entire book, but a lot of it is there if you want to check it out before buying a copy.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#169117 - 03/11/09 01:32 PM Re: When Technology Fails available online via Google [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
A very good read. I think the initial premise is way off. We are not anywhere near as close to technological collapse as the author conveys, but some of his concerns merit consideration. I don't think it's likely everything will just shut down, but it could be quite difficult and expensive at times to tap into the non-fossil fuel based energy systems. We don't build dams and nuclear power plants only because of political issues, not because they are impractical. If we fell into a chronic energy crisis, you can bet your bippy that congress would pass any and every law needed to get those dams and plants built to replace the lost energy supply from fossil fuel based generators. They would reach out and support any available alternative that will work. As people get hungry, the environmental and social concerns of using alternative energy systems diminishes in direct proportion to how loud their stomach grumbles at them.

It would help if the author didn't quote alarmists about such things as climate change and deforestation and ocean pollution, all of which are notable concerns, but not necessarily indicative of any pending catastrophe. He also discounts a lot of alternative fossil fuel sources in his conclusions, which invalidates much of his claim. Quoting scriptural doom and gloom is never a good idea if you are trying to establish any sort of veracity.

The rest of the book (chapter 3 on) contains valuable information and insight, and for the time it takes us to transition from fossil fuel to alternative supplies, or in the event of some other cataclysm, this book would be worth having. Not any new information, but well presented in this publication. His comments in the firearms section are a bit comical, but his choices are sound.

Thanks for the link. It was an entertaining read.

#169145 - 03/11/09 06:47 PM Re: When Technology Fails available online via Goo [Re: Blast]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi everyone,

Matt Stein was interviewed here locally last summer on peak moment television regarding the the contents of his BOB: http://www.wordpress.peakmoment.tv/conversations/?p=198

I posted a comment at the bottom that he could of done a better job of outlining survival priorities instead of spending loads of time on the merits of headlamps but I think the overall recommendations are sound. Besides I don't think I could do much better with a 28 min time window distracted by shiny bits of gear. wink

What do you think of this video?

Cheers,
Logan.

#169149 - 03/11/09 07:11 PM Re: When Technology Fails available online via Goo [Re: Loganenator]
duckear Offline
Addict

The irony in the title is strong.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 347 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.