The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#168805 - 03/06/09 03:39 PM Plastic bags on toxic plants
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
We know to put a clear plastic bag on tree branches to collect clean drinking water.

But what happens to that water if you harvested the water from a toxic plant, like oleander or mountain laurel (Kalmia spp)? Is the water contaminated with the toxins, or is it not an issue?

Sue

#168808 - 03/06/09 03:56 PM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: Susan]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I would think that it could potentially be toxic as well. I know some plants have the toxin on their surface, which could easily contaminate the water...

Interesting question tho... hmmm....

#168812 - 03/06/09 04:48 PM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Contact contamination is likely with plants whose toxins are located on or near the exposed surfaces. This method would most certainly be problematic with plants such as Poison Ivy, as it would be nigh impossible not to contaminate the plastic with the surface toxins these sort of plants naturally exude. Plants who's primary toxicity is due to ingestion might be less risky, but a lot of care would need to be exercised not to expose the plastic to the inner parts of any of the plant. It would be far more desirable to create a reflux chamber whereby the evaporated water the plant exudes would be channeled to a secondary chamber that would isolate any direct contact from the plant material and allow for condensation and collection in a manner physically isolated from the plant material, similar to how a still functions. A field expedient version might be a bit difficult to properly construct, but the theory is sound, and a little "Macgyver" creativity could produce adequate results.

#168822 - 03/06/09 05:51 PM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: benjammin]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Per the HoodsWoods DVD"s toxicity will be carried over to the
recovered water.

#168824 - 03/06/09 06:06 PM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: frediver]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Only in the event of direct contact contamination. The indirect method could be used to isolate the toxins from the condensate.

It is not an easy task, but it can be done.

#168832 - 03/06/09 06:53 PM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Okay, I understand.

Thanks!

Sue

#168838 - 03/06/09 08:37 PM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: ]
Herbie Offline
Stranger

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Yanno...I don't believe any of my survival handbooks mentions that.

I know Les Stroud mentions it in his book. (As in, "do not attempt transpiration on poisonous plants").

I know I've read it elsewhere also, either in the standard Army Survival Manual or some such "comprehensive" tome.

#168894 - 03/07/09 06:00 PM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: NightHiker]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Time to bring out the DVD again I guess but IIRC it had more to do with the volatility (?) of the toxic compounds. Direct contact was not the issue, toxicity was carried with the water vapor.
If that is the case then using toxic plants in a solar still would not render the product safe to drink.

Perhaps filtering the product thru a charcoal water filter might work but i don't think I want to be the one testing it.
How often will you find ONLY toxic plants to use in your water recovery/distillation process?

#168901 - 03/07/09 08:10 PM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: frediver]
Susan Offline
Geezer

This was one of those questions that pops up while I'm driving endless miles in the dark.

"How often will you find ONLY toxic plants to use..."

Stranded in a jungle of oleander bushes... what a nightmare THAT would be!

Thanks for the info, guys!

Sue

#168915 - 03/08/09 02:34 AM Re: Plastic bags on toxic plants [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, as in a solar still. The volatization of the toxic compounds would only be a factor if the condensation point was identical to that of water, in which case a reflux chamber could be added, if you were really worried about it. I think you'll find that most of those compounds don't volatize very well (or the plants would have a tough time keeping their production rate up) at ambient temps, and will either recondense at a higher or lower temp, thus making it possible to isolate them in the condensate line from the water.

Like I said, it wouldn't be easy, but it can be done. We were isolating alchohol from water in high school. How hard can it be?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 490 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.