The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#168731 - 03/05/09 04:23 PM Re: Pikes Peak rescue fee [Re: benjammin]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Cardiac stress isn't as obvious as a broken bone sticking out of your skin. It's not going to be obvious at the scene who is in trouble and who isn't.

#168734 - 03/05/09 05:16 PM Re: Pikes Peak rescue fee [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Cog train doesn't run all the time. Hikers can get up there after the last trains has left and.... they call 911. Bet that's the case.

I've ridden the train a number of years ago and they wanted to see your ticket both ways- probably to ensure car riders don't try an alternate route down. Don't know if there is provision to sell a one-way-down ticket.

I think that a taxi service would be willing to do the retrieve for a healthy sum once the 911 operators determine no medical emergency exists.

Seems like charging these folks is a great idea.

#168774 - 03/06/09 01:52 AM Re: Pikes Peak rescue fee [Re: unimogbert]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Seems like charging these folks is a great idea.

wonder what took 'em so long to figure that one out?

#169423 - 03/16/09 12:21 AM Re: Pikes Peak rescue fee [Re: bsmith]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Not sure how I feel about it. Many, many moons ago, I was the caretaker at Barr Camp (on Barr Trail...not the Pikes Peak Highway).

I've seen even seasoned hikers...those who hiked up 2-3 times a month year-round, experience problems.

I will say that the article is right to a certain extent. Countless times I've seen flatlanders drive in the night before and wheeze their way up the trail ill-prepared mentally, physically, and lacking equipment only to require assistance. I put people up in the cabins and fed them so they could still do it on their own the next day. If the cog railway is still running, the camp is about 1.5 miles away and if they can arrange ahead of time, and be at Mt. View on time, they can usually ride down for a prorated fare (space available).

On the other side, I'd much rather people call when they need help rather than decide not to do so because of a $500 tab. I'd rather not read about someone who died because they were afraid to call.

People enter the mini and full marathons and find themselves ill-suited even though they are good runners.

I'll even confess here that a weather snap and full-on whiteout surprised me on my first ascent on Pikes Peak. I was 18, a seasoned hiker/backpacker and in the Army. My small group wasn't the only one. We met up with other groups well above timberline. We all banded together and got through it. It ended up being all ice and snow to the top...not the trail I'd hoped for and read about. What a surprise it was when we got to the top and the facility was open and they announced the last train would go down in an hour. Boy...those oily-as-all-hell doughnuts never tasted so good. I did wonder whether I'd make the trip up. That was in the days well before cell phones, and I didn't even know about the road. However, by the time we reached the summit, the extra couple of feet of snow made the road impassable.

Anyway, I know it can be a problem...I'm just not sure how I feel about the issue. Anyone can run into a problem. I'm not sure how one deals with the lazy or stupid. It's easy for me to voice the visceral reaction to pure stupidity. But like most things, we tend to focus on the fringe elements...those that really hack us off, and not really see the majority of folks who are also made to look poor by the fringe. When I was there I received my fair share of prank rescue requests, had to deal with the fakers looking for attention, the ill-prepared, and the full-on stupid. I think it would have driven me insane to focus on the fringe and not on the majority of others.

Edited by yeti (03/17/09 02:06 AM)

#169524 - 03/17/09 12:49 AM Re: Pikes Peak rescue fee [Re: yeti]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Thanks for sharing your perspective, Yeti.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.