Well, I've had the clearance for 6 years now, and nothing I know of about that status or anything has changed, or I'd be dealing with issues at work right now as well. I put in a call to HR and security, just in case. We'll see if I get an answer from them any quicker.

I'll have to look into this BATF ID number thing. I don't like the notion of further self-registration with the feds, makes me feel like a mark. Also, it shouldn't be necessary; they've got over a 30 year history of me purchasing firearms. If they don't know who I am by now, how can one more number make any difference? I am certified to teach hunter's education, I apply for a hunting license every year, I pay over a third of my income in taxes to them, which they never seem to forget who I am on that count. How is it they suddenly seemed to forget who I am? Maybe I won't file an income tax statement this year, and see how long it takes them to figure out what my current status is.

Lame excuse for more bureaucratic BS.