Originally Posted By: Susan
For anyone who doesn't know why the U.S. is a bit down on these green lasers, here is why http://www.photonics.com/Content/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=30198

To some degree these are exaggerated concerns: battery-power hand-held greenies simply can't put enough energy into a cockpit to damage the eyes except at takeoff or landing & if you get lucky. The beam dispersion is too great. Loss of night vision is the only potential issue.

(my lasers have all come with beam quality measurements and it's straightforward to calculate the diameter of the laser spot at a distance and the power loss)

(not to mention the sheer difficulty of hitting a target with a narrow invisible beam - I assume a rescue laser is useless unless it has an output pattern other than a point since you can't hit a rescuer in the sky with a narrow beam)

The real risk is medical helicopters as they need to get close enough to the ground to be at risk. Other aircraft shouldn't be in that position (due to hazards to everyone on the ground when they crash into a power line etc).

Goggles that block 532nm green work very well and are inexpensive. I believe the Air Force has incorporated 532nm blocking for a while.

Infrared lasers are another story. They are extremely dangerous because the beam cannot be seen and does not trigger the blink reflex. Every DPSS laser (green, blue, yellow) has an infrared laser to power it and if it's made poorly can easily blind people. This is the reason for the FDA regs cited on the Deal Extreme site, not aircraft.